Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Suspension

Finishing drum brakes

(1/4) > >>

evantugby:
Gents,
Need your advice on how to proceed from here. My drum brakes have been walnut blasted with braking surfaces covered with aluminum tape. I want to make sure they get a natural-looking apperance, whether that is to reproduce a natural finish or speed up the aging process for them to look cast iron. 

how would you proceed?

CharlesTurner:
On a driven car, you'd be best to coat them in a cast gray finish.  Several options like the eastwood stuff or take them to a shop that can do something like a caliper coating.

J_Speegle:
Another option would be one of the ceramic paints that many use on exhaust manifolds applied not too thick so it looks painted. Would also redo the outer machined surfaces but your examples are pretty pitted so that might not be an option

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on February 22, 2018, 02:07:28 AM ---Another option would be one of the ceramic paints that many use on exhaust manifolds applied not too thick so it looks painted. Would also redo the outer machined surfaces but your examples are pretty pitted so that might not be an option

--- End quote ---
Along the lines or refinishing the drums, having access to a lathe has it's benefits. I was able to strip my drums down using paint remover as a cleaning agent and then soaked them in Rust 911 (Evaporust in the AFFORDABLE form). The lathe patterns really cannot be duplicated any other way. (I have only a drum/rotor lathe but it is better than nothing. For whatever else it is worth, and directed at your other thread on the axle shaft machined surfaces, a friend will be summoned to turn-down the machining marks on the face-surface and other surfaces while the studs are still removed). 

evantugby:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on February 22, 2018, 02:07:28 AM ---Another option would be one of the ceramic paints that many use on exhaust manifolds applied not too thick so it looks painted. Would also redo the outer machined surfaces but your examples are pretty pitted so that might not be an option

--- End quote ---

Jeff,
When you say outer machined surfaces, do you mean this area? Pic 1

Caspian/Jeff, which paint would you go with? Pic 2. The dupli-color is called cast coat iron which is an enamel with ceramic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version