1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Sway Bar: HiPo? Shelby? or Aftermarket?

(1/3) > >>

evantugby:
Gentlemen,
Do you recognize this sway bar? 

I'm trying to determine if my front sway (stabilizer) bar is a HiPo original (pic 1 and 2).  I don't think it is based on visual and measurement.  I used a digital caliper gauge to measure the diameter and it comes in at .8750" or 7/8".

When referring to Tony Gregory's Hipo book 4th edition, it mentions the diameter should be .813" diameter or 13/16" so mine is larger. Also the HiPo sway bar listed in Gregory's book shows a picture that looks to be different ends where the end links mount.  (picture 3)

Question 1:  My sway bar is a little bit thicker than the standard HiPo sway bar so do I have an after market sway bar? 

Question 2:  Because my kar is a GT-350 clone, perhaps a previous owner installed a GT-350 sway bar, but if so why isn't it 1" as it should be?  Tony Branda's parts catalog mentions GT-350s are 1" sway bars.  I went to his website to compare his aftermarket Shelby sway bar and the shape looks a bit different.  Plus mine wasn't goldish in color.  http://www.cobranda.com/1frswbar.html

Note:  There is no markings on this at all.   Because more than likely this isn't original, anyone know where I can find an original HiPo sway bar? 

J_Speegle:
I vote aftermarket

CharlesTurner:
It's most likely some kind of aftermarket piece.  If it's not 1", it can't be a Shelby sway bar.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: evantugby on February 22, 2018, 09:29:15 PM ---Gentlemen,
Do you recognize this sway bar? 

I'm trying to determine if my front sway (stabilizer) bar is a HiPo original (pic 1 and 2).  I don't think it is based on visual and measurement.  I used a digital caliper gauge to measure the diameter and it comes in at .8750" or 7/8".

When referring to Tony Gregory's Hipo book 4th edition, it mentions the diameter should be .813" diameter or 13/16" so mine is larger. Also the HiPo sway bar listed in Gregory's book shows a picture that looks to be different ends where the end links mount.  (picture 3)

Question 1:  My sway bar is a little bit thicker than the standard HiPo sway bar so do I have an after market sway bar? 

Question 2:  Because my kar is a GT-350 clone, perhaps a previous owner installed a GT-350 sway bar, but if so why isn't it 1" as it should be?  Tony Branda's parts catalog mentions GT-350s are 1" sway bars.  I went to his website to compare his aftermarket Shelby sway bar and the shape looks a bit different.  Plus mine wasn't goldish in color.  http://www.cobranda.com/1frswbar.html

Note:  There is no markings on this at all.   Because more than likely this isn't original, anyone know where I can find an original HiPo sway bar?

--- End quote ---
A GT350 sway bar besides being 1 inch in diameter is completely different shape on the ends compared to your picture.

evantugby:
Thank you everyone. Looks like I'm in the market for either original hipo or gt350 sway bar!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version