1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

'65 steering shaft/box removal

(1/2) > >>

socalgt:
As they cannot be separated......looking for a definitive answer as to whether it can be removed from the engine side without  removing a motor mount, raising the engine or other undesirable actions.  I'd like to replace it with a box/shaft for power steering.  I don't want to get half way through the project and  be sorry I started.  Hoping someone has done it with the car on jack stands only, without removing the items mentioned.  The car is stock, with manual steering box currently.

Thank You

rockhouse66:
I am pretty sure the shop manual details the process and, just from memory, I don't think the parts you mentioned need to be removed.

In other words, look in the shop manual for your definitive answer.

drummingrocks:
I do think you have to remove the driver's side valve cover.

socalgt:
To be honest, in this case, I'd rather have input from someone who has actually done it rather than a procedure in the shop manual.  I will, however, check it and see what it says.

Thanks...

CharlesTurner:
There are 2 ways for a V8.

1-Loosen motor mount and jack the engine up for clearance, unbolt the box and pull it out from underneath.  Will need the car up in the air a ways, preferably on a lift.

2-Remove the driver seat, unbolt the column from the dash and slide the tube off.  Unbolt the steering box and pull it up out of the engine bay.  It's been a while since I did one that way, I don't recall if the LH strut brace has to come off or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version