Author Topic: What body parts installed before painting  (Read 1833 times)

Offline 1965pony

What body parts installed before painting
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
I'm getting ready to paint my NJ built 1967 Convertible the car was built in mid May of 67.  I'm wondering what body parts were on the car when it was painted at the factory.  Thanks, Andrew

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: What body parts installed before painting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
As always, the doors and trunk lid were installed and adjusted properly to the unibody prior to paint. Also, the quarter endcaps were in place but not installed with the attaching hardware. Lastly, the rear valance was installed. We have seen unrestored Metuchen built 67 Mustangs where all of the valance attaching screws were painted and others where only 2 screws were painted.

Everything else was painted separate from the unibody.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:27:17 PM »
Agree with Pete's comments (believe all rear valance screws installed at paint time is more typical of the process at NJ) Would also add that the rear bumper guard brackets were attached to the main body at the time of painting also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »
Watch the "Martha and the Valdellas" film strip and you will have a good idea of how our Mustangs were painted.  It was filmed in Detroit so there may be minor differenes between the one filmed and one painted in Jersey but you will be able to see clearly how things were arranged in the paint department.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline 1965pony

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »
Thanks! I would have missed the rear valance, all the screws for it were painted but the car had been wrecked at some point and I figured that they got painted when the repairs were done.  Thanks Andrew

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:46:36 AM »
Remember that on the rear valence, the bottom corners were left hanging when the car was painted.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin