Author Topic: Production knee pad question  (Read 2790 times)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
Production knee pad question
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
Any one else have a knee pad like this one on their car?  Would like to know if its a production or pre production part?   Thanks, Chris

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Re: Production knee pad question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »
Looks like the one on #308 Chris. I'll check and get a picture posted

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
Hard to tell from the pic, but is it more rounded than flat?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »
I'm working on a 67 shelby engineering car that has a lot of signs of being the blue 68 GT500 prototype fastback.  It has this larger knee pad.  Just wanted to find out if this was a Ford mustang production part or something unique? Worked on alot of mustangs and shelbys over the years and never came across this. If it is a production part, it would be nice to see just when and at what plants changes happened.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:49:42 AM by thefordshow »

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »
It was hard to get size perspective from the photo. Now that I see it on the dash it is much larger than mine

Offline MaserGT

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
Any one else have a knee pad like this one on their car?  Would like to know if its a production or pre production part?   Thanks, Chris

On which date and at which plant was the car built?  There are some trim/part variations due to regional suppliers or mid-production changes in suppliers.  I have documented numerous examples of variations on 1967 San Jose assembly.  I have not looked at variations on the knee pads but will look through my photos and parts.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:26:06 PM by MaserGT »
Another quality post brought to you by MaserGT from/ uit/ uut/ aus/ de Vancouver, Canada.

7R02A239___ Dark Moss Green w/ Parchment Dlx, 4 speed - on going project.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:09 PM »
I'm working on a 67 shelby engineering car that has a lot of signs of being the blue 68 GT500 prototype fastback.  It has this larger knee pad.  Just wanted to find out if this was a Ford mustang production part or something unique? Worked on alot of mustangs and shelbys over the years and never came across this. If it is a production part, it would be nice to see just when and at what plants changes happened.
I have seen the tall pad before . I can remember thinking it strange but can't remember if it was a late 67 or early 68. It was in a Shelby though. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 04:59:42 PM »
Bob, it very well could have been the car I'm working on. It ran at B.J. auction in AZ a few years back, [white with blue stripes]. The second owner said the pad was there when he got the car. 

Offline MaserGT

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »

I'm trying to recall if there was there a similar appearing knee pad in 1967-1968 on any other Ford models Fairlane, Falcon, Galaxie?
Another quality post brought to you by MaserGT from/ uit/ uut/ aus/ de Vancouver, Canada.

7R02A239___ Dark Moss Green w/ Parchment Dlx, 4 speed - on going project.

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
The best I can come up with is that it was to be used as possibly a change up in the new 68 model year, but the idea got the axe after the strike.