Author Topic: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 S Code Firewall / Engine Bay Sealant  (Read 2969 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Dearborn Mach 1 S Code Firewall / Engine Bay Sealant
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
My car's firewall and engine bay has been stripped of all paint/sealant. Can some one supply a photo or give direction of where the sealant was applied (around heater hoses, etc) and recommend what sealant to use.

Thanks
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 S Code Firewall / Engine Bay Sealant
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:58:49 AM »
Most use a rubberized spray undercoating to reproduce the adhesive that was originally used. Seems to match the later stuff (69-up than the early 64-66 stuff) than the early stuff

So that we can provide the best possible responses - a few questions.

When was your car built at Dearborn (so we can show what the workers were doing during your cars time there)?

Was your car an AC or non Ac car? Since the pattern would differ ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »
Jeff:

The car is a Jan built non-AC car.

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:20:36 AM »
Most owners and shops do not typically apply back all of the original sealer since they find it unattractive on a restored cars. There has been many occasions where they have asked be to do it since they could not bring themselves to do it. Bottom line this is one of the more common areas where judges deduct points  on show cars - Not enough firewall sealer.

As always your car could have originally had more or less product depending on the worker and the day - but since yours is missing its likely better IMHO to copy what was done on at least some cars from your car's same period and plant

Highlighted the areas where the sealer appears to have been applied - some workers just turned on the gun and drug the spray from opening to opening (screw, mounts, grommets, ....any opening) 

Here are some shots of a car I recently finished (spring 69 Dearborn car) to give an idea of what we did there
 (AC car of course) 69 GT350 #1897

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline G Wood

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »
Jeff:

I appreciate the information. What would be the best product or products to replicate the look? Just a 3M undercoating or something similar?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
Jeff:

I appreciate the information. What would be the best product or products to replicate the look? Just a 3M undercoating or something similar?

I've used both 3M and Bondo brand  and believe the Bondo allows for more of a build up (multiple coats - one built on the last) for some of the heavier areas
Jeff Speegle