Author Topic: Identifying original tie rod  (Read 3946 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Identifying original tie rod
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
Came across what seems to be some original tie rod ends from a 68 cougar/mustang. There are no zerk fittings and a "B" cast on the bottom. Is this the only identifying mark?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Identifying original tie rod
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »
Came across what seems to be some original tie rod ends from a 68 cougar/mustang. There are no zerk fittings and a "B" cast on the bottom. Is this the only identifying mark?

Yes and those are originals or service replacements that are marked like original line pieces.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »
Thanks Jeff. They are supposely originals and in good shape (not sloppy or worn out). They have already ben cleaned and painted. So they need to be stripped and detailed. What is a reasonable price to pay for them. I think someone said Scott Fuller makes repro boots for them which have the metal ring but don't know hw much the boots are?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff. They are supposely originals and in good shape (not sloppy or worn out). They have already ben cleaned and painted. So they need to be stripped and detailed. What is a reasonable price to pay for them.

Don't know what they "are going for"  and I'm never a good judge as to the value (what someone is willing to pay for things) of parts or cars. Mind (and wallet) is likely too stuck in the 80's :)

I think someone said Scott Fuller makes repro boots for them which have the metal ring but don't know hw much the boots are?

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/catalog/item/4595229/6309844.htm
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
Jeff,Again thanks for the link. That ansered my question(s). With the cost of the repo boots the price isn't too bad. Boots alone would cost 100.

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
Some tie rods did not have the letter "B" stamped on the bottom. My car came with plain ones.

JD Larson has some NOS tie rod boots, the repros look nice too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:44:36 AM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »
Some tie rods did not have the letter "B" stamped on the bottom. My car came with plain ones.
Most 68 ones I see are plain

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
Not so sure about that. I have seen a fairly even mix of B and no-B for 68s. A complete set I pulled from a late July Metuchen, low mileage coupe had the Bs.

For 67s I expect to see the B. For 68, either/or/both works as factory.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »
Not so sure about that.
How can you be not sure about what I've seen? I'm just passing on an observation.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »
Well I got the tie rods in and after degreasing them w/ simply green and soaking in evaporust they are starting to reveal some things. First off they don't have the "b" on the bottom but both short rods have yellow paint daubs on the outer ends. These were pulled from a 68 vert small block. The springs  have a single orange stripe top to bottom.  The sway bar has a faint baby blue paint daub. Does all this make sense?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
Well I got the tie rods in and after degreasing them w/ simply green and soaking in evaporust they are starting to reveal some things. First off they don't have the "b" on the bottom but both short rods have yellow paint daubs on the outer ends. These were pulled from a 68 vert small block. The springs  have a single orange stripe top to bottom.  The sway bar has a faint baby blue paint daub. Does all this make sense?

Make sense - yes but all of these marks are specific to that particular car. You stated it was a 68 convertible  but we would need to know,

Assembly date
Plant
Transmission type
PS or non PS?
AC or non AC?

If we want to apply them to any other Mustang built that year
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »
I will check out that donor car. Definately had PS, no AC and was a an automatic. I will check out the rest.