Author Topic: 66 gt suspension rebuild  (Read 5251 times)

Offline etennz

66 gt suspension rebuild
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
I would like to rebuild my front end soon to MCA driven concours standards,I would greatly appreicate any advice on the best brands of parts to use,If bolted upper ball joints are ok for driven cars,if and what brand boots are best for the parts not replaced etc.just any tips that I might need to know before I start.Thanks in advance.MW

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 gt suspension rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
Bolt on ball joints are not acceptable in any mca class judged on authenticity

Would suggest that you post more information about your car to better help.  Such as, assembly plant, scheduled build date and options.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline etennz

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
The car is an A code gt,4 speed coupe,built 12-18-65 in Metuchen,only options are an am radio,spinner hub caps and console.It is a very nice car now,with original engine,carb,trans,all date coded body panels etc. so I have been thinking about making the big plunge into a correct car,but I don't know how deep the water is.Since the Asheville show is next Labor Day,I thought I maybe could shoot for that if it didn't overwhelm me.Thanks

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:24:55 AM »
For a concours car, I would recommend locating NOS tie rod ends or restoring originals.  The boots can be replaced if they are cracked/torn.  NOS idler arms seem to still be in good supply, usually some on ebay.  There is a difference between p/s and non p/s and also between I6 and V8 idler arms.  Same is true for the tie rod ends.  I6 and V8 are different and then on p/s equipped V8, the LH side inner/outer and sleeve are larger.

For your control arms, I would recommend NOS Ford lowers, refinished properly.  If your uppers are good, you can probably get new ball joints riveted on, but this will be a little expensive.  You may consider NOS upper control arms, but there are some pretty good reproductions out there.  Just be sure to get the 4 rivet style for your '66.

On the spring saddles, the sleeve can be replaced.  Ford serviced these, so you could possible rebuild your originals with an NOS sleeve.  Of course, if the saddle is rusty, then you might consider finding some rust-free originals or going with repro.  Make sure these are natural finish, not painted black.  See lots of show cars with these painted black for some reason.  Plainly spelled out in the MCA rules.

For your strut rods, your originals are probably rusty/pitted.  Some NOS ones would be a nice touch, along with Ford bushings and washers.

The AMK fasteners are pretty good for Concours.  If you get real picky, you can possibly restore your original fasteners.  This is time-consuming, but actually can be cheaper than buying all new.  Of course, you'll have to spend some time preparing the parts for re-plating and they have to be rust-free to look good after re-plate. 

This should help you get started.  The one thing you need to remember is that your own car is usually the best resource of information.  If the parts you take off the car are original, they should be carefully cleaned to uncover any original factory markings which are a nice touch when they are reproduced on new/restored parts.

Offline etennz

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
I app. your time,I think I would like to use NOS lower arms and idler arm if I could find them,saw an ad from Scott Drake for the uppers that weren't priced out of this world.Could I ask a newbie question here?Do you think it is prudent for someone of modest means to pursue perfection like this even if he still intends to drive the car every week or maybe leave that level for others?I really can't decide.Thanks again

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:54:32 PM »
OEM parts are usually always a better choice than aftermarket, it's not simply a matter of correctness.  There's just something that "feels right" about a vintage Mustang with original/OEM suspension components.

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
Charles has given you the best advice, I wouldn't mess with aftermarket suspension stuff. You can do all the restoration you talk of and still drive the car like you wanted. I wouldn't drive in the rain or if there was a threat of rain, you may need to clean the suspension every now and then.

There are a few different places who can rivet your ball joints back in for you. There is a fellow in Indiana who can do everything for you but you can save some money by preparing the control arms yourself, cleaning ect... and buying the ball joints, boots, ect. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:05:53 PM by Sunlitgold68 »
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »
One word of advice on starting down the resto road you're talking about. If you tell yourself that you're going to do your front suspension over a weekend, do it, finish it, stop. Then plan on your next item to do. All too often people starting restoring their cars with the intent of "I'll just pull this apart this weekend and clean/repair/restore it. That way I can still enjoy the car the following day". When the first nut/bolt is pulled off, something else is found that can also be done. That's when the old "while I'm at it" curse comes. Next thing you know the whole car is torn down and the whole project gets overwhelming in scope and bogs down! Don't ask how I know!! Okay, one of my cars started out with a front suspension rebuild. 20 years later it's still completely torn down for a complete resto, stalled by time, numerous moves, lack of finances, etc.It's only recently started moving forward again. Just a word to the wise. ;)

BTW, my fastback is also a '66 Metuchen built GT with a scheduled date of Oct. 28, '65. I'd be interested to hear details you come across during your resto. Good luck with it!
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline etennz

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
This is the thing that makes it so hard to decide what to do,the car had a lot of work 5-6 years ago by someone else that wasn't to MCA standards.Now it is too nice to blow it back apart bolt by bolt but it is not as correct as it needs to be for concours,lots of repro parts that are not correct,body gaps not as close as should be,not perfect paint.I will try to get some pictures for the experts here to look at and tell me if it is close enough to continue without having to start over.Iwill also try to save all markings from factory and will tell you what I find.Thanks