Author Topic: 69- 70 hood paint detail  (Read 9532 times)

Offline mach1one

69- 70 hood paint detail
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
I've noticed on restored cars that the underside of the hood is black with feathered exterior paint blown about a inch or so into the black on the perimeter and also cars with a hard line of exterior paint on the perimeter. What is considered factory correct? While on the hood subject what is the correct color of the seal to aircleaner and is the latch phoshate and oil with silvercad or phosate attaching hardware. Any other factory original minutia that is missing Thanks Lu
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:42:00 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69- 70 hood paint detail
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
I've noticed on restored cars that the underside of the hood is black with feathered exterior paint blown about a inch or so into the black on the perimeter and also cars with a hard line of exterior paint on the perimeter. What is considered factory correct?

It appears that it was typical to find that workers masked off the black underside of the hood while the body color was applied. From original examples the application of the maskign tape was not perfect and exact every time (examples of the tape not being applied firmly around the notches along the sides towards the rear are common) "line" typically follows the line indicated in the picture below.

Also noticing on original paint cars where the rear facing scoops were masked along the edge of the opening (so that the lip on the opening is left back not body color) rather than just sticking the maskign tape over the rear surface of the scoop. Interesting detail that was brought to my attention by a couple of friends

While on the hood subject what is the correct color of the seal to aircleaner and is the latch phoshate and oil with silvercad or phosate attaching hardware.

The hood latch was the same as a Mustang so year phosphate and oil and the retaining hardware was the same as Mustang also - a silver cad (most use zinc now days)

Any other factory original minutia that is missing Thanks Lu

Wow Lu that could take us allot of places ;)

Lets start with some of the major stuff (sure Bob will have some ideas also)  Have you painted the gray grill area yet?

At the bottom carriage bolts (fenders to lower valance) painted body color?

Did you black out the turn indicator pockets and the back side of the lower front valance?

You could always start a new thread with some pictures of those areas, if done, to get thos conversations going.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:28:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

Re: 69- 70 hoon paint detail
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:04:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff have already painted the backside of the lower valance black with body overspray.I have also painted the grill gray on the front with overspray on the rear. The lower grill moulding along with both side panels(headlamp boxes) with the associated hardware is painted gray. The hood lock supports were painted semi black. thr inner fender was mast in a straight line at hood line and the area below was painted gray. the turn indictor lights were blacked out but I did miss the detail at the fender to valance bolts. I wish I could spend all night and talk about all these cool shelby details. any details about these unique cars is well appreciated. Any other minutia you care to offer on these cars as far as the front end for now . I 'd like to get it right as much the 1st pass before I have to go back and have to fix stuff. Thanks in Advance Lu

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
I've noticed on restored cars that the underside of the hood is black with feathered exterior paint blown about a inch or so into the black on the perimeter and also cars with a hard line of exterior paint on the perimeter. What is considered factory correct? While on the hood subject what is the correct color of the seal to aircleaner and is the latch phoshate and oil with silvercad or phosate attaching hardware. Any other factory original minutia that is missing Thanks Lu
It's the other way around on the hood underside . The black was painted after the body color and it was normally a soft line. Some type of mask was used.   I have seen it the majority of the time about a inch from the edge. This line can vary .I have attached a picture showing how the line isn't always straight ether. I have only seen the seal as a  dark gray or black foam material. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
Thanks Jeff have already painted the backside of the lower valance black with body overspray.
First you have to understand that the front clip was painted as one piece already bolted together. the bolted together front clip was maneuvered onto the car by two people. With that understanding you can get a idea how the other items should look when painted.     The backside of the valance was painted after the front clip. There is no body color overspray on the black out. The black out was done before the front clip was bolted on the car. The blackout should carry over to the lower inside edges of the front fenders somewhat too. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mach1one

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:25:44 AM »
Bob, Great stuff!! When were the headlight buckets installed and when were the grill components installed? Sounds like the headlamp buckets were installed on the fenders first then mated to the valance and painted body color with overspray on the fenders/ buckets/valance then the valance blackout with overspray. Was this crude with overspray on the top of the valance with overspray onto the fenders. When was the gray applied to to the headlamp boxes/lower grill panel/grill. On or off the front clip. Can I assume that the outer fender walls are as dearborn- rear body color- shock towers red oxide and front blackout. there must have been sound deadener in the exposed dearborn areas. Also were the splash shields applied at shelby ionia without sound deadener on them? Thanks Lu

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:10:07 AM »
Bob, Great stuff!! When were the headlight buckets installed and when were the grill components installed? Sounds like the headlamp buckets were installed on the fenders first then mated to the valance and painted body color with overspray on the fenders/ buckets/valance then the valance blackout with overspray. Was this crude with overspray on the top of the valance with overspray onto the fenders. When was the gray applied to to the headlamp boxes/lower grill panel/grill. On or off the front clip. Can I assume that the outer fender walls are as dearborn- rear body color- shock towers red oxide and front blackout. there must have been sound deadener in the exposed dearborn areas. Also were the splash shields applied at shelby ionia without sound deadener on them? Thanks Lu

All of the fiberglass parts were bolted together . Then it was all painted body color with no regard to getting paint on the areas to be painted gray. Then the foglight bracket was added and the headlight buckets and foglight bracket were painted the gray. The grill was semi gloss black and was installed in the grill area and now a second quickie coat of gray was applied to the now attached grill leaving the backside of the grill the semigloss black. Grill mesh witness lines on the headlight bucket area confirm grill was added and painted in place. The black out discussed before was then done. The headlights,wiring  and trim rings are installed . Now the front clip is installed on the car in one piece.  The sound deadener /sealer was not applied to the splash shields at AO Smith or to the bottom side of the fiberglass fenders which a lot of restorers do. Bob
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:16:45 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:32:05 AM »
It's the other way around on the hood underside . The black was painted after the body color and it was normally a soft line. Some type of mask was used...............

Opps - thanks for the correction - got it backwards ;)  Knew it just wrote it wrong :(

........... Can I assume that the outer fender walls are as dearborn- rear body color- shock towers red oxide and front blackout. there must have been sound deadener in the exposed dearborn areas. Also were the splash shields applied at shelby ionia without sound deadener on them? Thanks Lu

The amount of each seems to move forward and rearward (where the different layers meet) depending on the worker and the job. Sometimes we find the body color into the shock tower area some times it stops a foot short. Same with the engine compartment black Sometimes there other times only some black overspray from the painting of the face of the radiator support.

As far as sound deadener - at the plants that was one of the last things done to the cars before the front wheels were attached. With the fenders and all (including the splash shields) workers applied the sound deadener to the joints to help seal out water and to the surfaces to deadener the road noises and to protect some from rock impact. Since these cars had no front fenders in place they received no sound deadener in the front wheelwell areas (fenders or inner panels) like the Mustangs built at Dearborn.

Yes the splash shields were attached to a modified section of a 69 Mustang fender placed on the car a AO Smith
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:41:28 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
So how were the gray grill pieces painted and were they on or off the car. Was the hood latch support and fender to valance support still the batch paint. Were the unique bumper to frame brackets black. any other oddities Thanks Again Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 01:37:21 AM »
Yes hood latch support and lower fender supports (lower fender to front bumper bracket) were just like other Dearborn Mustangs - batch. Hood latch support to front lower grill panel - painted semi-gloss black.

The Shelby only front bumper brackets were painted semi-gloss black

Understand that the headlights were out so the grill and headlight rings were shot off the car

Remember (often overlooked) that are area around the turn indicators was blacked out and the front valance to fender carriage bolts were body color (worry if we've already mentioned those - getting late)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39:03 AM »
Quote from: mach1one link=topic=195.msg887#msg887 date=125253545any other oddities 9
So how were the gray grill pieces painted and were they on or off the car. any other oddities Thanks Again Lu
-both the lower steel foglight support was painted gray off the car with the bottom side getting very little over spray. I have seen the bottom side of it bare metal and a flat or semi gloss black.   The lower support was attached and the the grill was installed . Then the grill was painted on the front side only leaving the back side semigloss black. Grill pattern witness lines on the headlight buckets indicate the grill was painted in place.  "any other oddities " I wouldn't know where to begin. : ???Bob

Offline mach1one

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 01:56:54 AM »
Really great stuff Jeff and Bob!! Now I have a clear understanding of the 69 shelby front clip painting. I still dont know what color the 69 mustang fender attachments that held the splash sheilds were.  Were they attached to the fenders at painting and what was their base color or were they attached to the inner fenders and what was their color. Thanks Lu

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 03:11:33 AM »
I still dont know what color the 69 mustang fender attachments that held the splash sheilds were.  Were they attached to the fenders at painting and what was their base color or were they attached to the inner fenders and what was their color. Thanks Lu
They were not painted. They were added to the unibody before the front clip was attached . They were galvanized steel. Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »
They were not painted. They were added to the unibody before the front clip was attached . They were galvanized steel. Bob

Here is an old picture with a car pretty much as delivered from Dearborn (hood is the only visible item added at this point)  sitting outside at the conversion plant. Plates can be seen already attached to the inner fenders in their somewhat bright plated condition. Hopes this illustrates Bob's comments a little

Jeff Speegle

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
Its a very interesting photo. The wheels are styled steel and fully dressed [rings and caps]?  I could see maybe sending them with the rims, but all the rings and caps??