Author Topic: 1965-66 Mustang Disc Brake Proportioning Valve  (Read 7933 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
1965-66 Mustang Disc Brake Proportioning Valve
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
My latest Blog post is about the 65-66 Mustang Disc Brake Proportioning Valve.  I'm posting the link here, because I thought that some of you may be interested in seeing it:

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2010/12/1965-66-mustang-disc-brake.html

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1965-66 Mustang Disc Brake Proportioning Valve
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »
Have you made up a small placard to place near the prop valve to deflect all the questions about the finish?!   ;D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
Have you made up a small placard to place near the prop valve to deflect all the questions about the finish?!   ;D

If I did that, I may have to make up a whole bunch of them for other stuff!!  Oh well, that is what makes it fun for me.  I learn something new everyday about these cars.

Offline e093116

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
Can you provide a referral for who did the sleeving and an indication of the cost?
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 05:05:05 PM »

I had to run right out to see what my 65 Acode car had..... ;)  sure enough, gray! Even though it was cold outside I had to pull it off for a better look and to find the date code.

Bad stamping but looks to me to be 61-5?  That would make it March 2nd the car build date of April 19th.

Great stuff and if you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed until I pulled off the valve.

Thanks for sharing!!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Brant

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
Can you provide a referral for who did the sleeving and an indication of the cost?

www.whitepost.com

Around $150.00, but you may want to just double check to make sure that has not changed even though I had these done recently.  They do not do the plating shown either.

Offline Brant

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
I had to run right out to see what my 65 Acode car had..... ;)  sure enough, gray! Even though it was cold outside I had to pull it off for a better look and to find the date code.

Bad stamping but looks to me to be 61-5?  That would make it March 2nd the car build date of April 19th.

Great stuff and if you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed until I pulled off the valve.

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks so much for posting your pictures.  I was sure that some were originally painted the gray color also.  Who knows why and exactly when some were painted black like the ones that I have seen.  I will say that two of them that were definitely originally black were both date stamped 120-5.  Both were from GT350’s.  I have another one that was black.  It is around that date, but I don’t have it in front of me.

The cool thing is that if someone has one that has never been removed, you can usually tell what color it originally was painted, because the back side (against the fender apron) was usually pretty well protected and has original paint.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
The valve on my 9/65 scheduled build San Jose GT FB is stamped 223-5 (Aug. 11, 1965) and was definitely light gray.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rodster

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »
Thanks so much for posting your pictures.

You're welcome, thanks for all you share! :)

The cool thing is that if someone has one that has never been removed, you can usually tell what color it originally was painted, because the back side (against the fender apron) was usually pretty well protected and has original paint.

Yea, thank goodness for grease and grime, it's a wonderful protectant. ;) I was amazed how good the gray looked on the backside of the valve.

The 65 I have is rough but very original and so far has been a great source of interesting information including lots of correct date codes. Kind of surprises me more things didn't get replaced in it's lifetime.

Did you notice the undercoating on the steering column at the firewall in the attached picture? Looks like there may be paint under there? I'm sure this car is hiding a lot of details, I just have to figure out where to look for them. Is it typical to have undercoating in this area?
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »

Did you notice the undercoating on the steering column at the firewall in the attached picture? Looks like there may be paint under there? I'm sure this car is hiding a lot of details, I just have to figure out where to look for them. Is it typical to have undercoating in this area?

Would bet that its not undercoating (Ford didn't have any to apply ;) but the sealant that was sprayed over or around any opening, mounting or pass through on the firewall - or at least the worker was suppose to get all of them ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »

Uh, yea, sealant.... that's what I meant.  ;)

Would said sealant be the same stuff used to black out the horn wires?
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »
Over the years, there have been many derivations of "under coating", but when Jeff refers to this, we're generally referring to "under coating" as that thick gooey stuff that dealers put under cars.  The nasty tar-based stuff that never completely dried!  That's the only point of contention in labeling the original as "sealant" or "sound deadener", depending where it was used on the car.  So, not simply technical terms, but rather describe the type of material used.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 01:47:16 AM »
Would bet that its not undercoating (Ford didn't have any to apply ;) but the sealant that was sprayed over or around any opening, mounting or pass through on the firewall - or at least the worker was suppose to get all of them ;)
+1 on the sealant around the column. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 01:58:56 AM »
If you look at the Ford documents such as the assembly manual reprints it list the product used to seal the firewall as an adhesive in some manuals. IN the early years at San Jose the product often looks like 3M spray adhesive where it was applied lightly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 02:20:33 AM »

Interesting....wonder if it was just a terminology thing? No need for an 'adhesive' there.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A