Author Topic: Trunk mat  (Read 1593 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Trunk mat
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:48:57 PM »
Looked at an original unrestored 68 coupe recently and noticed that trunk mat was glued to the gas tank with a yellow type of glue. Entire gas tank top looked like it had been sprayed with what could be best described as contact cement.
Car still had the original filler board and mat showed it's age. Was this glue original? Build date was mid June 68 Dearborn car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Trunk mat
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:22:10 AM »
I have seen quite a few 67-69's that were glued or had evidence that they had been glued in the distant past that I felt were original given the context in which they were found.  I couldn't tell on some cars if it had been done or not that being the case I don't know if this was something that was supposed to be done all the time are not. I know for a fact that some 69 Dearborn cars had the mat glued down .  I have only seen one 68 NJ car but it was after I knew what to look for. I missed many opportunities because I didn't know to check. I haven't seen any 68 Dearborn cars to confirm but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Bob
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:14:55 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
Well here is a pic of what i found.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
Kind of hit or miss in 68. Might be due to all the different mats used that year - some of them pretty cheap types that would not stay in place well. Though have seen the spray on some 68s (not all) with the plaid and jute style also

Checked my pictures of 68 Dearborn cars and only came up with two that were clearly sprayed - both early cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:24:08 PM »
This was a June 68 built in Dearborn coupe.