Author Topic: 69 conv truck decklid  (Read 5362 times)

Offline mach1one

69 conv truck decklid
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
Were these painted on the car or off the car. I have seen some restored cars with one of the hinge bolts not painted. I have also seen the trunk tailight  wire harness painted body color. Can someone shed some light on this Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 conv truck decklid
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »
Painted off the car. 

In the picture below (original paint trunk lid) you can see where they placed a piece of masking tape over the trunk lamp (already installed) and one near the drivers side trunk hinge opening hole where the trunk lamp wiring was shoved. Have seen other original examples where they did seem to apply this last piece of tape and simply shoved the wire in the hole Some of the wiring still got paint on it as well as the plastic (once a white color) clip located near the opening

(Pictures are a result of too friends who made sure I saw the trunk lid at a show earlier this year and took pictures ;)  Good to have friends

As far as the trunk mounting bolts - have seen original examples with one painted (each side) and all painted
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:13:18 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:42:07 PM »
so the trunk light was attached to its normal position along with the wire clip in its normal position and the wire was shoved into the nearest holes and the holes covered or not covered with tape. I still dont get the rational of the unpainted bolts. What is the logic? Lost body colored bolts at dearborn and new bolts at iona. It seems it would be all or none. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »
so the trunk light was attached to its normal position along with the wire clip in its normal position and the wire was shoved into the nearest holes and the holes covered or not covered with tape.

Yes - wire was "wound" up is a loop and placed in the nearest trunk hinge hole. It may have been wrapped with masking tape as a bundle - can't be sure,  But seems like you have the basics

I still dont get the rational of the unpainted bolts. What is the logic? Lost body colored bolts at dearborn and new bolts at iona. It seems it would be all or none.

Consider the possibility of both hinge to trunk lid bolts being placed in the hinge at the top end to retain the insert in place during transport. 

-During the paint process one painter applies paint up the hinge arm to the point just past the first bolt. Result - one bolt on each side gets painted.
-Another painter paints all the way to the end of the hinge coating both bolts. Result - both painted.

A possibility and explaination  IMHO
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:11:32 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »
so the trunk light was attached to its normal position along with the wire clip in its normal position and the wire was shoved into the nearest holes and the holes covered or not covered with tape.

Yes - wire was "wound" up is a loop and placed in the nearest trunk hinge hole. It may have been wrapped with masking tape as a bundle - can't be sure,  But seems like you have the basics

I still dont get the rational of the unpainted bolts. What is the logic? Lost body colored bolts at dearborn and new bolts at iona. It seems it would be all or none.

Consider the possibility of both hinge to trunk lid bolts being placed in the hinge at the top end to retain the insert in place during transport. 

-During the paint process one painter applies paint up the hinge arm to the point just past the first bolt. Result - one bolt on each side gets painted.
-Another painter paints all the way to the end of the hinge coating both bolts. Result - both painted.

A possibility and explaination  IMHO
I agree with Jeff's explanation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »
Didn't the shelbys get delivered with a mustang trunk lid and had them removed for the shelby lid ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:44:25 AM »
67 were shipped with out trunk lid (opening was covered by a sheet of plastic)

68's were shipped with trunk lid (unpainted) and no taillights and end caps (thought those got covered again in plastic) 

The 69's were handled the same way and since the trunk lids were unpainted  it was likely (IMHO) that they was added before shipping but after the paint was done. This would fill the requirements set by the order and explain why the bolts were painted.

Works for me
Jeff Speegle

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:45:48 PM »
Interesting,..The reason I ask is because a local shop[Special interest cars] deals in mostly n.o.s. ford parts. He had a LARGE supply of what he called shelby take off trunk lids [fastbacks and convertibles] years a go, all painted? I just called him and he said that he indirectly got them from ford,and still may have one in his shop some were.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »
I would think that as cost conscious as Ford was/is that any trunk lids that may have been used on 68-70 Shelby's to keep water/debris out of the trunk during shipment would be shipped back for reuse on the next run of Shelby's . No doubt there were hundreds that were needed for the smooth running of the shipping process. Chances are they would be a little beat up being used over and over again IMHO. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mach1one

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »
Still don't have a good understanding of the painted versus the non-painted truck lid bolts. It seems to me if the original bolts were painted at dearborn the same would be used at iona. What have researchers seen on survivor cars. majority with bolts all painted or vice versa.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »
Still don't have a good understanding of the painted versus the non-painted truck lid bolts. It seems to me if the original bolts were painted at dearborn the same would be used at iona. What have researchers seen on survivor cars. majority with bolts all painted or vice versa.
I have seen them both ways .  I have seen a lot more examples that had the normal Mustang wide washer bolt painted and a smaller washer bolt that appears to be added and unpainted  but I have also seen a smaller number that were both the wide washer and both painted in a confirmed original context. I have seen enough examples both ways over a wide variety of build dates that so far I have not seen a specific pattern. Others may have a different opinion. Bob