Author Topic: 69 GT 500 convertible 4sd  (Read 4094 times)

Offline mach1one

69 GT 500 convertible 4sd
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »
did the front springs recieve the same color code as the 69 mustang 428 4sd convertibles. I've also seen the front strut rod bushing washer to be painted light blue on restored cars Is this factory correct Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 GT 500 convertible 4sd
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:34:03 AM »
did the front springs receive the same color code as the 69 mustang 428 4sd convertibles.

Believe the jury is still out (no universal agreement) on the markings on rear springs of the 69-70's and we lack any decent number of examples for a good sampling.   Currently I'm leaving the marks off until we get something allot more solid. Just me ;)

I've also seen the front strut rod bushing washer to be painted light blue on restored cars Is this factory correct

That would indicate the late larger suspension. So it depends on when you car was built and if it had the early or late (big) suspension
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mach1one

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:58:53 AM »
jeff, the car is a early small suspension car. what would the markings be on th FRONT springs Thanks Lu

Offline mach1one

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:41:09 AM »
One of my printed sources shows 69 63/fastback as 1gold/1pink and conv/76 as 1gold/1grayfor the front springs.  unfortunately I don't have the build sheet for this car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
For an early GT500 Convertible, 4 speed, PS,  non AC FRONT springs

1 Gold & 1 Pink applied with the spring sitting up side down or on its side so the runs often look like they run up hill once spring is installed
Jeff Speegle

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:12:45 PM »
did the front springs recieve the same color code as the 69 mustang 428 4sd convertibles. I've also seen the front strut rod bushing washer to be painted light blue on restored cars Is this factory correct Thanks Lu

What color are those front strut rod bushing washers supposed to be on the big suspension cars? The restored cars I've seen look like a light blue with a touch of green.
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 12:36:13 AM »
What color are those front strut rod bushing washers supposed to be on the big suspension cars? The restored cars I've seen look like a light blue with a touch of green.
That reads like accurate description to me short of having one there to compare side by side.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 05:40:32 PM »

They should be the same as those used on cars like the 69 Boss 302. Tint and tone of the color seems to vary a bit. Also be aware of difference in lighting. cameras and monitor settings. The difference in color use may be related to when the car was built. The bluer color below is from a very early big suspension car - first few weeks. The other teal color is the more often seen color.

Here are some examples from other threads on the site

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 05:50:44 PM »
They should be the same as those used on cars like the 69 Boss 302. Tint and tone of the color seems to vary a bit. Also be aware of difference in lighting. cameras and monitor settings. The difference in color use may be related to when the car was built. The bluer color below is from a very early big suspension car - first few weeks. The other teal color is the more often seen color.

Here are some examples from other threads on the site

The one on the left in Jeffs picture is what I have seen and matches my lunch pail sourced washer I have.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »
"lunch pail sourced"? Sounds like there's a story there.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 12:02:36 AM »
"lunch pail sourced"? Sounds like there's a story there.
I am showing my age but glad to fill in someone who has never heard the term . It was a common place for workers to smuggle things out of the plants in a lunch pail or thermos. A lot of assemblyline parts found their way to the outside world that way.They would be found at garage sales in the Detroit area back in the day.  Many items were not serviced and the only way to find them was when they were smuggled out like in the case of my strut rod painted washer. The block color painted oil filters that were only assemblyline used is another example.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 12:16:51 AM »
A lot of assemblyline parts found their way to the outside world that way.They would be found at garage sales in the Detroit area back in the day. 
A similar scenario occurred at the San Jose Assembly Plant in Milpitas. There were two Flea Markets operating in that time period, Berryessa and Capitol, that had new bits and pieces of Fords for sale.
I am showing my age but glad to fill in someone who has never heard the term. 
As long as you can "show it", don't worry.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
The blueish SF stamped washer was 69 big susupension shelby and  69 b2.  The thicker (no marked) greenish washer was boss 429 from what i remember.

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 08:51:46 AM »
Other than being painted blue, what is the difference in the front washer between the small and big suspension cars?

I know one of the bushings on the big suspension setup is thicker which probably means that the larger ferrule is longer to accommodate the greater overall thickness. Can anybody comment on what exactly the differences are?

Also, am I reading this wrong or does the 1975 MPC show the 1970 B2 as using a standard mustang strut rod bushing replacement kit?

Offline specialed

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 10:04:17 AM »
Yep the dooz kit was service replacement for all