Author Topic: Painting a Kick Panel  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Painting a Kick Panel
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »
The more I look at my reproduction kick panels the more I want to find an original set. My interior color is nugget gold and I cannot find an NOS pair in this color. I can get an NOS set in another color and paint them nugget gold, anybody ever painted a set and do they look good?
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Painting a Kick Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
well i am not a painter but here is what i have done. this was on a fox body mustang interior quarter panels. i went to my local jobber & had them mix up some SEM brand vinyl dye in the color i wanted. i then used an adhesion promoter after thoroughly scrubbing the panels. they turned out great.
5F09C331248

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »
I have found hard plastic panels refinish better than soft as they don't flex as much.  Like CARLITE65 mentioned I like SEM'S on interior parts. The most important thing is getting the parts perfectly clean. Your jobber should also have a plastic parts pre-clean that I would recommend as well to use along with a adhesion promoter.
 I personally would rather have a painted original part vs. a re pop made in CHINA that most likely is made of a different material and half the weight.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem dying kick panels, but would stick to a molded color somewhat close to the paint color.  The edge of the kick panels in the door jamb are real easy to hit with your shoes when entering/exiting the car.  Would be annoying to have color showing through scuffs.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »
I've got my originals but they are cracked and can not be reused. I wonder if Frank could mix up a color that would be exact, I just need to find some nice OEM ones or some NOS ones which shouldn't be too hard to find.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
And you want to do this AFTER I have already installed the back jute, drilled the holes, fitted, and installed them?!?  :o :o

Like what Charles stated, I would try to get a color close or at least lighter than what you have as they will get scuffed and will be apt to show the original color. The SEMS interior paint is excellent and applying a low luster clear will keep the gloss down.

Regards,
Pete Morgan