Author Topic: 69 Dearborn Coil Spring Cover  (Read 4104 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Dearborn Coil Spring Cover
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
After looking at Jeff's GT350 post and in preparation of painting this area of my car I have a question regarding color. Are the coil spring covers for a 69 Dearborn Mach 1 black or slop gray? Is there any other part in this area (under fender) slop grey?

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Dearborn Coil Spring Cover
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
After looking at Jeff's GT350 post and in preparation of painting this area of my car I have a question regarding color. Are the coil spring covers for a 69 Dearborn Mach 1 black or slop gray? Is there any other part in this area (under fender) slop grey?
The coil spring cover is slop grey and the fender extensions brackets are also. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Thanks Bob, I know there have been many discussions around the best mix for slop gray. Any advice?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »
Thanks Bob, I know there have been many discussions around the best mix for slop gray. Any advice?
luckily it is hard to go wrong since there seemed to be infinite variations . If you don't have a sample from your specific car to go by I would use a medium gray that has a semigloss /medium gloss appearance. The rattle can products look OK but are a lacquer mix I think which I don't like but they are good to use to match a automotive grade paint to IMHO. The floor pans I like to see a little metallic mixed in (if you don't have a original sample of your particular car ) . It isn't uncommon for the under fender and engine compartment (battery tray and braces) to be a different gray then the floor pans. I hope this helps. Bob
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:14:54 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
Best advise - go for a home run, mix up a batch and tone the different parts each slightly different from each other. Since these parts were produced at different times each finish (tint) can vary.

Last batch we started with a VW dark gray color then added some blues, blacks and greens to get a handful of variations

Think one of the bumper brackets (might be the tubular ones) was also slop gray on Mustangs at Dearborn that year - will double check
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
Jeff, it's the flat bumper bracket that's gray. G wood, The gray on the Misc brackets should be fairly dark gray. Many restored ones are too light. On many unrestored cars you really need to look close to tell they are not black. In my opinion the gray should not be a big contrast. NPD has the gray matched from Rick's 5,000 mile Mach 1 that is a good rattle can color match. Originally I think most of these parts were dipped.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »
Thank Bob- Knew it was one just could not recall that moment. Agree that some of the slops out there are really too light. The parts on my April 69 Boss are almost black.

Also have noticed that they appear dipped also. My Boss has some nice big runs on the drivers side spring cover
Jeff Speegle

Offline RUSSELLSAM

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:22 AM »
Yep , slop grey was all most black and it looks charcoal.
so many cars are way to light with the slop grey.
regards

Offline G Wood

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
I did not know the flat bumper bracket was slop grey as well.

Is there a slop grey list avaialble where I could check to see if I have my list correct. I could not find anything in my search.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
I did not know the flat bumper bracket was slop grey as well.

Is there a slop grey list avaialble where I could check to see if I have my list correct. I could not find anything in my search.

If you look under the 69-70 FAQ at the top of the section the last item (currently) you will find it.

It is missing the small headlight support brackets and I'll add in a better description of which bumper brackets - so I'll have a reminder in the future ;)

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline BuckeyeDemon

• Photobucket Pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
just one example.  this was off my 69 dearborn car.

VIN: 9F02M178303
Build Date: March 31, 1969
1969 Mach 1, Candyapple Red, 351W 4V

Offline G Wood

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 10:23:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Garth