Author Topic: 1965 Wiper arms and blades  (Read 8318 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
1965 Wiper arms and blades
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
I have a late July 1965 Convertible and am trying to decern exactly what wiper ARMS should be on it.
I have recently found the correct original Trico 15" flat stainless steel blades, so I'm ok there.

Now, I believe I have incorrect (reproduction) ARMS:they ARE the "hooded" type, chrome, going to stainless for a short length, then to a dull satin finish.

I BELIEVE I need an are that is chrome and stainless because my car is a '65, but am unsure of/when Ford switched from a non-hooded to a hooded arm...anyone know? pictures would sure help. Thanks!

Offline ChrisV289

Re: 1965 Wiper arms and blades
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
On the same subject, were these ever used:  They have been on the car awhile now:

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
I have seen many of those rain deflector type in junk yards on a variety of year Ford cars 65-70.  I don't recall seeing any on a vintage magazine of showroom literature. I know they didn't come on 65-67 Shelby which is a SJ plant car or 68-70 Shelby's which are NJ and Dearborn plant cars. I may be wrong but think they were popular aftermarket blade made by OEM suppliers that was hyped for the rain deflector value back in the day. The seeming logic of the deflector spoiler was probably the reason so many found their way onto the cars . Just a guess. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
I have seen many of those rain deflector type in junk yards on a variety of year Ford cars 65-70.  I don't recall seeing any on a vintage magazine of showroom literature. I know they didn't come on 65-67 Shelby which is a SJ plant car or 68-70 Shelby's which are NJ and Dearborn plant cars. I may be wrong but think they were popular aftermarket blade made by OEM suppliers that was hyped for the rain deflector value back in the day. The seeming logic of the deflector spoiler was probably the reason so many found their way onto the cars . Just a guess. Bob

I agree 100%

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
Rick-I posted on the HiPo Forum too, but I'll post the same here in case someone did not see the other forum.

Not sure when the change was made in the various plants, but a late car like your July '65 would definitely have the "hooded/flanged" style with no threaded shafts (i.e. no chrome bezels and nuts) for the wiper posts. 

There may be a possibility (probably was) that some cars that did not have the threaded shafts for the bezels and nuts could have used the earlier arms though...never say never.  I would say by July '65 though, your car would have the hooded/flanged arms.

I know that my late March '65 San Jose car has the bezels and nuts (use the "straight" ended arms.)

Here is a picture of the earlier style:

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »
Thanks Again Brant!! These darn wipers are starting to make me crazy, but I think I've got it now.
At lease I've got my hands on the right original blades!

Offline Murf

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
The "spoiler" type wiper assembly pictured was indeed an aftermarket part.  They were called "anti-windlift" and were a very popular item in the mid and late sixties.  During that period there were few discount stores in most areas and normally folks purchased their "wear items" at the local gas station or a few would go directly to a parts store and purchase their parts at a discount.  Most parts stores encouraged the purchase of the entire blade assembly as opposed to just the refills, obviously the profit margin was good on wiper related items.    I think the change to the satin finish was a federal mandate enacted to cut down on the suns reflection blinding drivers under certain conditions
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline e093116

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:54:40 PM »
What is the correct marking on the wiper blades?  Just wondering because of the polishing work I did today and what I noticed with the 2 sets of parts I have on hand.

The wiper blades I kept are marked "Trico" as pictured.  I had a second set of blades marked "Trico USA" in the same location that I threw away because they were heavily damaged.

My May 65 SJ car has the "hooded/flanged" style with no threaded shafts (i.e. no chrome bezels and nuts) for the wiper posts.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
I have a late July 1965 Convertible and am trying to decern exactly what wiper ARMS should be on it.
I have recently found the correct original Trico 15" flat stainless steel blades, so I'm ok there.

Sorry if I missed it but if we knew what plant you car was from with could give a better (more exact) answer by checking the collection of pictures ;)  Think I've got a spread sheet going also with those details but not sure if its expanded out to NJ yet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »

Not sure when the change was made in the various plants,

For reference:

65 Dearborn April 19 build date

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
What is the correct marking on the wiper blades?  Just wondering because of the polishing work I did today and what I noticed with the 2 sets of parts I have on hand.

The wiper blades I kept are marked "Trico" as pictured.  I had a second set of blades marked "Trico USA" in the same location that I threw away because they were heavily damaged.

My May 65 SJ car has the "hooded/flanged" style with no threaded shafts (i.e. no chrome bezels and nuts) for the wiper posts.

I believe you kept the right ones from what I've seen on original cars!

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »
Sorry if I missed it but if we knew what plant you car was from with could give a better (more exact) answer by checking the collection of pictures ;)  Think I've got a spread sheet going also with those details but not sure if its expanded out to NJ yet

Jeff, SORRY-Dearborn plant, scheduled build date July 27th 1965.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »

The pictures of those "deflector" type wiper blades are period correct "Anco" wiper blades.  They are NOT original.  Mustangs only came with TRICOs from the factory.

I have a few of those period Anco wiper blades.. They are cool, and look cool, but are NOT correct. GM used TRICO too as original wiper blades.  ANCO wiper blades were available at every gas station back then..in the day... Trico was available too, but not as much as ANCO, not even close.  ANCO pretty much cornered the aftermarket when it came to wiper blades in the 60's and 70's...  I always remember having more difficulty finding original Trico wiper blades back then, but ANCO were all over the place for years..

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
Jeff,....Dearborn plant, scheduled build date July 27th 1965.

Thanks - here is as close as I have to your VIN and plant

5F07C7806xx

5F07C7562xx
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »
Jeff, Hey Thanks for the pics!! Your two cars are a ways before mine as mine is 804*** so its surely needs the flanged/hooded ones.