Author Topic: 1965 Wiper arms and blades  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: 1965 Wiper arms and blades
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
My original "Trico" wipers, January '65- Dearborn, need to be re-plated.  How do I get the chrome redone while preserving the original stainless?  Is this a "take apart" deal or a "find the right plater" kind of deal?

Also-- Is there anyway to tell if the actual rubber is original?  These have been safely stored for nearly 35 years and they very well could have the original rubber on them.

Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
I'm sure there were some variations, but one type of original wiper blade rubber has raised dots molded into the top and bottom edge.

The lower section and arm are riveted together, I'm sure they could be disassembled and restored, but not sure if the rivet is available.  I'm assuming it's a stainless steel rivet, which would require a large style squeeze apparatus to do them properly.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
Thanks Charles-I'm usually not put off by a project but these wipers, with those high tension springs inside, have me a bit scared to take them apart and possibly wreck some pretty nice wipers.  The chrome is actually pretty decent so I might just let these go... :-

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:40:07 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
I just got a real nice set of wiper blade holders (like the ones pictured) and they are stainless, so I think if anything you could take the blades themselves out and hand buff them up pretty nice....

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
The stainless and arms are great; the trouble is a few small pits in the chrome on the other end where they mount onto the car. :'(
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Gotcha....not sure where to go with this then......may be an "exact" repro?? I'm like you and would be afraid to try & take them apart for re-chroming....