Author Topic: VIN ODDITY  (Read 3335 times)

Offline dan green

VIN ODDITY
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »
Has anyone ever seen a 65 with a dash in the VIN number???
I looked at a JAN 65 built SJ convert today with a VIN that reads  5R0-A******.
The door tag has been removed but 3 stampings on the inner fenders appear this way.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: VIN ODDITY
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
I've never seen this before....sounds like the factory was having a hard time deceiding if the car was to be a coupe "07" convertible "08" or fastback "09"    can you post some pictures?

Offline dan green

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
I didn't take any at the time I looked at the car, I'll see if I can get some.
The car is a very nicely optioned original with no rust, never had any accidents all original sheet metal.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Did all the VIN's include the small stars at the beginning and end?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dan green

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »
I can't remember if the VIN's has the stars.  I'll see if I can look at the car again.
I do remember that the characters were not in a straight line, they were kind of up and down.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
I can't remember if the VIN's has the stars.  I'll see if I can look at the car again.
I do remember that the characters were not in a straight line, they were kind of up and down.

Have seen some (well at least what I believe are) some restampings that took place at San Jose. These "corrected" VIN stampings can bring with them allot of unexpected attention :(

If they are they will have another VIN and some extra characters that are consistent with all the other examples
Jeff Speegle

Offline dan green

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
This is definitely not a re stamp.  Only 1 VIN number.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a 65 with a dash in the VIN number???
I looked at a JAN 65 built SJ convert today with a VIN that reads  5R0-A******.

I think I have a winner !!!!

Took a moment to go through a bunch of my pictures of VIN's and I did find one 66 San Jose one around #149xxx where they must have been using a fill in guy that shift since the third character  (as you posted) had not been aligned in the machine correctly (neither were many of the sequentail  numbers) and the "O" was way too high. The bottom of the "0" produced a "-" instead as you described. Think we have another car stated by the same guy (same shift) as yours - likely all the cars in that shift were messed up the same way.

Both stars are in place - just a poorly stamped VIN

If you would like (I would suggest) email me directly and I'll send you a picture of the the example I have that way if in the future your cars VIN comes under question you will have at least another example to offer the DMV  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rhoffa

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
Jeff,

2+2=GT350 was kind enough to point me to this post about a dash/hyphen in a VIN. I posted pictures of my VINS on Vintage Mustangs Forum, titled VIN number with dash/hypen in it?, showing the hyphen where a 9 is supposed to be. I was hoping you could share the picture of the example you mention in your post above. Much appreciated!! Also by any chance do you know where I can find a picture of the stamping machine?

Ralf

Offline rhoffa

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 10:59:20 PM »
Hey Jeff,
Here are the pictures of the VIN with a dash/hyphen in them.
Ralf

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
Well now that we have a picture its clear to see (for me) that this is something different than what I described 6 years ago

"Took a moment to go through a bunch of my pictures of VIN's and I did find one 66 San Jose one around #149xxx where they must have been using a fill in guy that shift since the third character  (as you posted) had not been aligned in the machine correctly (neither were many of the sequentail  numbers) and the "O" was way too high. The bottom of the "0" produced a "-" instead as you described. Think we have another car stated by the same guy (same shift) as yours - likely all the cars in that shift were messed up the same way. "

Thought it might be a possibility but considering the two/three examples are a year apart it was a possibility but a stretch to begin with. You horizontal line is wider than my example and IMHO the result of something else going on

Jeff Speegle

Offline rhoffa

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 09:59:52 PM »
Jeff,

Sorry it took so long to reply but I wanted to thank you for digging and posting that picture.

Ralf