Author Topic: Light socket repair  (Read 2403 times)

Offline ruppstang

Light socket repair
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:08:16 PM »
If you have ever tried to get a bulb in or out of back up lt, park lt or marker light you know what a pain that can be, getting the spring on the contact moving properly. In the past I spent what seemed like hours working them up and down with WD40 ect. The other day I was moving a old socket in to a new back up housing and noticed that the contact springs were stuck. I put it in my Evapro Rust tank and in two day it works perfectly. I hope this helps someone else. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Light socket repair
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »
Marty thanks for sharing. Guessing that the liquid dis not change (for better or worst) the finish of the socket itself.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
Jeff,
It does not effect the plating if it is still there. If not will clean rust to bare metal. I am not sure if a plater could replate the zinc dichromate with the wiring intact. I might take it there and see. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »
My experiance with evaporust and Zinc Dichromate is that the gold tint disappears very quiickly. I try not to leave it in the bucket for more than a half hour and check it at 15 minute intervals. Dont know why it attacks this finish. Also some horrible results with it on tin finishes like radio case and fuel filler neck. No problem with spangled galvanized (floor plugs) finish but started to flake the brake caliper sheilds last year. Found silver flakes floating on the surface. Wonderful product but be careful with some finishes. Wondering if it will effect electrical connections. By the way you cant just evaporust and then wash and phospate for instance. The phosphate comes out very light. You still need to lightly media blast the clean part for the phosphate to cling.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:29:19 AM »
I had my sockets replated w/ wiring in tact worked great.