Author Topic: Casting numbers on '69 351W Exhaust Manifolds?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline DeadStang

Casting numbers on '69 351W Exhaust Manifolds?
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:43:54 PM »
Does anyone know what the casting numbers are on 1969 stock 351W Exhaust Manifolds for a 4 speed car?  Or where I might try to find them?  Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Casting numbers on '69 351W Exhaust Manifolds?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 01:45:34 AM »
Believe engineering numbers for automatic and manual trans are the same - will check (checked - manuals show the same for both applications)

Can't make them out very well from the picture believe they might be C90E-9431 & C90E-9430 Think both may be -B but can be sure - sorry don't have any here at home

Here is were the engineering numbers are located

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:05:53 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DeadStang

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:40:56 AM »
Thanks!  I didn't know they were different (4 spd vs AT) until I was at a swap meet last year.  A machine shop guy who builds 351Ws showed me that the AT  driver's side manifold opens directly rearward (as in your excellent photo), while the 4 spd manifold tilts slightly downward.  He had a set to sell, but at the time I didn't need them (of course).  I am going to my shop this afternoon, and I am going to try and see if I can see the numbers on my original 4 spd coupe, but this car is what you expect to see after 40 years and 300,000 or so miles, so I may no be able to read anything.

BTW, this site is great!  I may not have anything even close to concours, but that doesn't mean that I don't want them to be as correct as possible for someone of my, ah, talent (or lack of).  Thanks again.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »
Thanks!  I didn't know they were different (4 spd vs AT) until I was at a swap meet last year.  A machine shop guy who builds 351Ws showed me that the AT  driver's side manifold opens directly rearward (as in your excellent photo), while the 4 spd manifold tilts slightly downward. ................

Interesting - consider (far as I know) that both automatic and manual cars used the same H pipe  and as mentioned don't see two different manifolds listed by Ford in the parts List I have.  Are you sure the ones he showed you were 69's or possibly something different?

BTW, this site is great!  I may not have anything even close to concours, but that doesn't mean that I don't want them to be as correct as possible .........

Believe there are many that are in the same boat as you and I believe that if we can provide the information many will choose to make their cars closer to original.   Welcome
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:27:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)