Author Topic: rubber covered metal bands that hold AC lines together  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Murf

rubber covered metal bands that hold AC lines together
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
Looking for images or an image of the rubber covered metal bands that hold the lo and high side air conditioner hoses together in the engine compartment of a 68 302 with Ac., build date April 03 at San Jose.  Trying to discover if the rubber covered both ends of the strap, or is one or oth ends not rubber coated.  Have one strap for a pattern but the rubber is not intact on either end and not sure if that is how it was built or just a result of time and normal wear and tear.  Thanks for any help!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: rubber covered metal bands that hold AC lines together
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
Pretty standard IMHO through the years. Both ends are bare so that the "tongue" can be inserted into the other end with ease

Will look and see if I have any close up (you never take enough pictures ;) pictures of an example for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »
Does anyone know where they can be found new or used? Marty

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »
Murf, this a picture of my 68. hope it helps, Bill.
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  That image is exactly what was needed.  My original (only have one but it seems to require two) was not coated in rubber on either end - but It was so sorry that there was no way to determine if the rubber was torn off on each end or had never been there in the first place.  I "created" a couple of new ones and with the aid of your photo dipped them in the liquid rubber for dipping tool handles and such.  Made them out of alloy rather than steel but of the same thickness and used the original for a guide.  Drying the rubber coating now and will put them on in a day or so.

Anyone know where they are located on the hoses?  Does anyone have an image of a car with the original clamps still in place?
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
 I have used the liquid rubber dip in the past with good results.  My car only had the one band on it. It mounted about 8 in. behind the compressor just like the assembly manual shows. The assembly manual only shows one band pt.#c80a-18954-a clamp. It shows to be the same for both small and big block engines, but not for 6 cyl. It is in the 68 electrical assembly manual, page e8-8650-3 small block, and -4 for big block. Bill.
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
Sorry no good clear shots of the back of the engine area (too much in the way) Easy to explain why some of the straps have moved over the years or owners have chosen to lay the hoses on the drivers side shock tower support.  Looked at Big blocks briefly and the first clamp is also pretty consistent

Hope this helps a little - all unrestored spring 68 San Jose cars since I believe that is what your working on ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the help. The information and images were much needed and appreciated.
John Murphy