Author Topic: Remote control door mirror  (Read 7637 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Remote control door mirror
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
Would a remote control mirror be called out on a marti report? Did they get installed from the factory on deluxe interior cars or GT's as part of the exterior dress up? Door has a big hole for the cables but car has standard interior. Door is original to car as date code matches.

Offline dave6768

Re: Remote control door mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
My 67 has a remote mirror and was not called out on my Marti report.

Dave

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
My 68 coupe is a standard interior, but my father ordered the remote control mirror since it was a separate option.  It shows on the invoice and on the Marti report.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
So it seems that if it was an option it would show up on the Marti. Thanks
Laurie your coupe is a standard coupe non Gt so it would have come with the base mirror. Did GT's get the remote mirror as standard equip or was it also an option?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:26:47 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
Does your car have the exterior decor group?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
I have several cars with it called as a option. I think it was popular dealer installed option. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »
What makes up the exterior decor group?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »
My Ford option book says
Bright wheel lip moldings
Special, lovered hood with integral signal indicators.
Bright rear deck and quarter panel moldings on hard tops and convertibles (standard on fastback models)
pop-open gas cap.
Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »
Marty, with it being a GT than I think the pop open gas cap with GT badge is a given? Not positive about that.
Hood with turn signals, wheel lip moldings, pop open gas cap, stainless trim at vert top (though I think all verts have that), fog lights, GT badges,black C stripe, quad exhaust tips and cut out rear valance all yes.
No front or rear bumperetts.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
GT without exterior decor option received a twist on GT gas cap, not the pop open type.  To add to Marty's list I think that rocker panel moldings were also part of exterior decor.  John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
I dont think I've ever seen a car without rocker moldings. Regardless I have both the pop open gas cap and rocker moldings. I know I didn't have front bumperettes and checked a pic from 87 and there were none on the rear as well. Funny part is the brackets for the rears were installed but the rear valance wasn't drilled and they weren't there. I'm sure someone will say that maybe the rear got crunched and they replaced the rear valance with a replacement which wasn't drilled but the brackets were perfect with do damage. Marti doesn't call them out and it is a late build car when they weren't standard any more.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
GT without exterior decor option received a twist on GT gas cap, not the pop open type.  To add to Marty's list I think that rocker panel moldings were also part of exterior decor.  John
Interesting John I thought the same thing but no mention of rocker moldings in the Ford material. There is a C7AB-17743-B mirror on eBay I thought it was interesting that there were RH and LH plastic bases with it. I had not see the remote style mirror in the non remote form mounted on the LH side.
I have see a number of cars with out rocker moldings mostly 67's. Marty

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »
From a rocker panel perspective, and we are getting a little off topic, my research years ago on 67's specifically were that base coupes and verts did not have rocker moldings, but the 2+2 did (with the exception of Shelbys).  Coupes and verts would get rocker moldings as part of the exterior decor option or as a stand alone option.  I've seen plenty of 67 coupes and verts without them.  That said, it has been many years and the memory can get foggy.  68 of course might be different. John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
Found an old pic showing car from passenger side front 1/4 view. From what i can make out it looks round. Hard to see clearly but obveously replaced. Couldn't find any interior pics showing the door panel to see if there was a hole in it for a possible remote mirror. So with investigative work at a stand still because I dont have any more pics what should I do? Look for a standard or remote mirror. looks like the car has all the features pointing to the Exterior decor group but its not called out on the marti report. But wasn't the exterior decor group automatic with a GT. Thats what made it a GT. You could get a S code car without it being a GT and then it would have no exterior dress up. Interiors could be upgraded from standard to deluxe. Seen plenty of 68 1/2 CJ's with GT exteriors but standard interiors. By the way when I purchased the car it came with  argent rear wheels and chrome fronts so thats another dead end. Heard that late in the model year chrome seemed to be prevelant. I will check the dates stamped on the wheels to try to determine that one but don't know if wheels made any difference. Thanks for any help.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »
Again my experience is mostly with 67's so I will speak from that perspective.  The exterior decor group AND interior decor group (aka "deluxe interior") AND the GT equipment group were all distinct options.  You could have ordered none, any one (without the other), any pair, or all three.  I have seen pleny of 67 GT/GTA cars with the standard interior and exterior.  A common misnomer is the vented hood sometimes referred to as the "GT" hood.  Other misnomers are the "GT" wood steering wheel and "GT" styled steel wheels.  The vented hood for 67 was part of the exterior decor group (or other specials offerings).  The styled steel wheels and wood steering wheel were separate options.

The bottom line is that the following type of Mustang exists somewhere: Hardtop, GT equipment group, 289-2V, 3 speed manual, standard (non-decor) interior and exterior, wheel covers.  The GT equipment group added (1) GT badging on fender, (2) side stripes, (3) GT badging on gas cap (standard twist, exterior decor pop-open), (4) dual exhaust with chrome tips (289 HP or 390 only), (5) power front disc brakes, (6) upgraded handling package (but short of the separate competition handling package), (7) fog lamps, ( 8 ) F70x14 tires.

However, if someone had money to order the GT option (along with the minimum requirement of ANY V-8) they would most likely order other options.  But the point is they were not part of the GT equipment group option.

For 68 I'm aware of GT equipment group changes in the power front disc brake inclusion, side strips changing to C stripes, GT hub caps on argent or chrome wheels, and possibly not being available with a 2V V8.  There were also changes to the hood for all models (not just the GT), making the vented hood more prevalent (possibly standard for a while?).  But I don't think that there was any significant change to the GT (such as including the interior or exterior decor group with all GT's).

I wish I could be more help with your particular question on the mirror.  I've got a 67 GTA fastback, purchased unaltered from the original owner in 1980.  Interior decor, but no exterior decor.  Driver's side has remote mirror.  No mirror at all on passenger side. 

John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660