Author Topic: Remote control door mirror  (Read 7636 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Remote control door mirror
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »
John thanks for responding. All the marti report states is GT Equipment Group which at this point doesn't tell me much. My library has old books from the eighties and they have conflicting information. Even a google search hasn't cleared up the question of what was included in that option group as standard. I know the car had rocker moldings. Pop open GT badges gas cap, quad chrome tips (which I had re chromed), GT fender badges, for lights, hood with turn signals, black C Stripe, bright trim at trunk lid and end caps, hood trim and vert top trim (the last three I believe are all standard 68 garnish). Mirror still a mystery. I would think that Kevin Marti could look up my old San Jose built 68 Gt and I know that car had the remote mirror but it also had a Deluxe interior. Exterior garnish was the same but it was a fastback. I have an NOS C7 standard mirror waiting to go on but the hole in the door between the mounting screws makes me think that I should be putting on a remote control mirror. Why else would it have the hole? Nothing but potential water issues otherwise. Maybe all doors had the hole? Maybe they put a door on the car for a mirror but the mirror bin was empty so a standard mirror could have been installed? I don't know! Anyone else have info. How would it be judged at an MCA event?

Online 67gta289

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »
All good questions. Like you, my Marty shows the GT option, and does not mention the mirror; but I know that it was delivered with a remote controlled mirror on the driver's side. As far as the hole in the door goes, a while back we discussed the different number of door configurations (excluding glass).  We missed the large mirror hole in the discussion.  We did talk about interior differences: (1) standard, (2) standard with door speakers requiring holes for those, (3) interior decor without door speakers (my particular application), and (4) interior decor with door speakers.  So if you take those four variants and add with or without the large mirror hole that would drive it up to eight.  As an engineer myself, my tendancy would be to limit variations to reduce cost, and design all mirrors to cover the hole.  However, if there was a handy dandy hydraulic punch that would knock it out it 15 seconds that would somewhat reduce the problem with all of the door variations (would not prevent mistakes, as you referred to in a previous post). As far as judging, I'm no where near qualified or experienced enough to give you direction.  But that won't stop me... ;D From what I've read, though, assuming a concours class  ;), if you have either style correct mirror, with correct screws, all with good quality and workmanship, there probably won't be a problem.  I don't think that the Marty report or build sheet or similar document is part of the judging process - my understanding is that the review is limited to the VIN, door tag, and possibly the body buck tag for those that have them.  It would be good to hear from a judge though.  With what you have reported thus far, I would go with the remote control mirror.  Good luck. John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
Thanks for your opinion. Lets hear some others.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »
All good questions. Like you, my Marty shows the GT option, and does not mention the mirror; but I know that it was delivered with a remote controlled mirror on the driver's side. As far as the hole in the door goes, a while back we discussed the different number of door configurations (excluding glass).  We missed the large mirror hole in the discussion.  We did talk about interior differences: (1) standard, (2) standard with door speakers requiring holes for those, (3) interior decor without door speakers (my particular application), and (4) interior decor with door speakers.  So if you take those four variants and add with or without the large mirror hole that would drive it up to eight.  As an engineer myself, my tendancy would be to limit variations to reduce cost, and design all mirrors to cover the hole.  However, if there was a handy dandy hydraulic punch that would knock it out it 15 seconds that would somewhat reduce the problem with all of the door variations (would not prevent mistakes, as you referred to in a previous post). As far as judging, I'm no where near qualified or experienced enough to give you direction.  But that won't stop me... ;D From what I've read, though, assuming a concours class  ;), if you have either style correct mirror, with correct screws, all with good quality and workmanship, there probably won't be a problem.  I don't think that the Marty report or build sheet or similar document is part of the judging process - my understanding is that the review is limited to the VIN, door tag, and possibly the body buck tag for those that have them.  It would be good to hear from a judge though.  With what you have reported thus far, I would go with the remote control mirror.  Good luck. John

+1 I am a MCA gold card judge and John you got that right by me. Marty MCA 38812

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »
Marty so are you agreeing that either mirror would be OK as long as it is a correct original or replacement Ford mirror and uses the correct mounting hardware? 

Or do you feel it should be the remote control mirror because of the exterior GT garnish even though the interior is standard?

Just looking for you to clarify your answer. Thanks for reponding.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »
Yes I am saying either of the two correct mirrors would be ok. If it were my car I would use the remote one. Was there a RH mirror?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
There was no Rh mirror. I wish I had asked this question last week. There was an NOS remote mirror on eBay which sold at a great price a few days ago. I guess I will wait for another opportunity like that one.

Offline mach1one

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
I was thought to believe that the remote mirror was not part of the deluxe or gt group. I have a 68.5 with a original standard mirror although it it not a deluxe interior. On cars with a remote in 68 I have always seen it spelled out in the Marti or build sheet

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
Well thats intresting. My Marti does not call it out. Regretfully no build sheet survived. So you say it was strictly an option which needed to be ordered. If I'm not mistaken all Shelby's came with the remote? They all had deluxe interiors but also what i would call the exterior upgrade package.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 12:41:11 AM »
OK I think I have it figured out. I was reading some Ford literature on equipment groups and I found a group called the Visibility Group ($24.95) that included LH remote control mirror,under hood light,luggage compartment light, glove box light and glove box lock, and under dash lights on hard top models.
I checked the Marti report on my 67 GTA convertible that has a remote mirror. No option listed for the mirror but must have been included in the group.
Does your car have this option on the Marti?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
Checked the Marti report last night. No Visibility Group shown. Didn't have a underhood or trunk light. Glove box liner has a hole on the LH side where a light could go but don't remember if it had one. Probably similar to the light at the back of the console. I think there may be one kicking around the basement so I have to look. Did find a non locking original catch for the glovebox door. Probably the original but could be out of a stripped 67. Not sure if all 68's didn't have locking gloveboxes? Thought i read that a long time ago. Could also be a vert thing. I do have 2 underdash lights one at each corner but i believe that was standard on all verts as there was no dome light. Maybe some discussion about the glove box items could lead to some answers.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
Darn I thought I had it figuered out. No not all 68's had locking glove boxes. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 11:58:09 PM »
Did 68 verts have locking glove boxes as standard or was it an option?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 12:26:28 AM »
I have all ways understood that is was part of a group of optional equipment. Also all 68s got rocker moldings as standard equipment. That came up earlier.