Author Topic: 68.5 Non Fold down seat question  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
68.5 Non Fold down seat question
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
I am posting a few pictures of the NON fold down seat bracket and seat back.  I did not take this car apart and I did not get any pictures of the cars details before it was disassembled. The bracket shown with nuts and studs were still attached to the seat back.  I am holding in the other picture the bracket to body and am wondering if anyone who might have a non fold down seat car and they know it is correct could tell me how it is attached here. Just some nuts? Washers and crown nuts? This long bracket should not be there? This same long bracket is on the other side also.  Any input would be appreciated. Also I attached a picture of Robs car on a rare sunny day. It snowed again today!!! Ignore the old front springs that are in the car, I put them in to move the car around.

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68.5 Non Fold down seat question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
Only have one half way decent set of pictures from a 67 non fold down - no plate nor studs just bolts through the bracket (to the latch support) into the back section of the seat back. will post a couple of pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
My 68 fastback is a nonfold down is as Jeff has said the bracket bolts directly to seat back. Marty

Offline Armond

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
This set up doesn't really make sense to me. As the picture shows, this is exactly how it was when I received it.  Did they use crown nuts like I have seen on the 69?  I can't imagine they left a bare stud with a nut.  Thanks for your help guys! If you find some pictures Jeff I would appreciate it.
MCA#31064

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Checked my pictures and unfortunately the ones with the bolts through were from 67 examples rather than 68 so their may have been a change between the two years - so posting those would just confuse things.

As for your assy I seems odd that they installed a plate with what looks like a counter sunk screw hole but didn't use it. And they didn't need the plate (all the rest is the same) in the 69-70 non-fold down examples.  Of course this is just for the discussion -

As for the cap nuts - it may just be the picture - but what remains once the assembly is all together looks pretty long to find a cap nut over when comparing it to the typical 69-70 cap nuts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »
Thanks for looking Jeff.  If I don't get any response from 68 owners, I'll do what makes sense. Like a 69 with shorter bolts and some crown nuts.  Thanks!! 
MCA#31064

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
Armond;

The Ford Parts Manual list the bolts as 50847-S, the nuts are 381864-S and the washers are 351247-S. AMK describes the bolt as a 1/4x20x1-1/8 Phillips head screw w/integral star washer, the washer appears to be a spacer and the nuts are 1/4x20 Hex Crown nut. They do not carry any of the parts they described in the Ford Fastener manual. I believe I found everything I needed to attach my non-fold down seat in my 68.5 CJ at either Lowes or Home Depot. I also think the nuts are black oxide. I have attached the drawing of the rear seat from the Ford Parts Manual, hope this helps.

Keith Stem

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »
Armond;

See this attachment,

Keith

Offline Armond

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »