Author Topic: Fuel tank sending wire protector  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Fuel tank sending wire protector
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »
  In the picture is what remains of the plastic fuel sending wire protector. This one is obviously destroyed.  I am looking for a nice original or is there an exact repo out there?  I have only seen one of these still intact.  This is for the R code Cal Special. San Jose car. Thanks!

MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel tank sending wire protector
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:19:01 AM »
  In the picture is what remains of the plastic fuel sending wire protector. This one is obviously destroyed.  I am looking for a nice original or is there an exact repo out there?  I have only seen one of these still intact.  This is for the R code Cal Special. San Jose car. Thanks!

Armond, I wish you luck with finding one. Even though it is shown in the assembly manual (which you would think was the preferred choice) it doesn't seem that they were used as frequently as the single clips by themselves. From your picture it seems like a combination of both were used on the car you are working on. The cars I have seen were ether or. From what I have seen I am confident both types were used on the same lines in the same time frame.  I have seen only a few out of many with the long strip type protector on San Jose cars (67 Shelby's in my case ) but have seen overwhelmingly more of the single clips so I am thinking the strip type will be much harder to find. I hope I am wrong for your sake. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Armond

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:48:20 AM »
Thanks for replying Bob!  Only one time have I seen one.  Hopefully I'll get some feelers out there and find one.  It is interesting they used both on this car. We just need to get Scott Fuller to repo me one! Thanks!
MCA#31064

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:33 AM »
I would like to add that I have seen some (two different cars ) on some NJ 68 Shelby's. Just tell Scott to warm up the ole prototype machine and get some for you ;D . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
Agree - not many cars got these and not sure if the use is connected to options or time period.

Need to check Cougars from the same period also ;) But I've never found a good one to take off at a yard for a sample as of yet
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
 Jeff if you have never found one in a Yard there in California after all these years, I am now pretty much discouraged I'll find one.............but there is always hope!!! Thanks!  Scott!!!!
MCA#31064

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:30:52 AM »
None of my 1968 Shelbys (GT500KR, GT500KR, and GT-500) have the plastic piece.  Neither does my 68 289 Metuchen coupe.

All of my 1968 San Jose dual exhaust cars (302 GT, 428 HCS, and 428 CJ FB) have he clips and plastic strip.

My 1968 single exhaust San Jose coupe does not have the plastic piece.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
The strip is called out in the assembly manual to be for cars with convienience group wiring. IMHO the only thing different in wiring that would call for a different protector would be the extra wiring for the convienience group low fuel sender. I have only seen 1 of these on a car before and it was a Feb 68 build GT 500 (NJ) Although Shebys don't have convienience group they use the convienience group rear wiring into the trunk for the trunk light. I could understand how that might allow a few to slip into the mix. It seems from the vast majority of these seen that they were used more widely on SJ cars. My hunch is it was more of a plant thing than anything.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »
All of my 1968 San Jose dual exhaust cars (302 GT, 428 HCS, and 428 CJ FB) have he clips and plastic strip.

These cars scattered (build dates) through the production year or all second half cars?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:16:23 AM »
Jan 68, May 68, July 68
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com