Author Topic: 68 Rear Valance  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
68 Rear Valance
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
The rear Valance on the Cal Special has the two lower holes stamped for the rear bumper guards and it did not have them.  This is an original paint car and it clearly shows paint in these holes. How often is this seen?  If I leave the holes is it just a cause for judging problems down the road? Opinions?
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Rear Valance
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »
Just trying to confirm - are the brackets there, behind the valance for the bumper guards?

The pictures I have look as if there are bolts through the valance into the brackets but can not be sure due to the angle
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
No the car did not have the brackets and no attachment holes for them in the trunk/rear body panel area.  There is no indication of any bolts attached to it. On the passenger side he had a Air Shock valve attached at one time.  You'd think if it was not going to get them, these holes would not be there. Thanks!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
Armond, the original rear modesty panel on my CS (8R01J155374) with a scheduled build date of Apr. 03 has no holes other than the small ones for the screws at the top.  No sign of any holes  ever being on the lower edge. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:41:55 PM »
Must be the valve stem that I'm making out in the picture I have of the car

Agree its odd and likely a mistake - if it was installed at the factory. Its a judgement call but I would likely put what was suppose to be installed while documenting and retaining what was found.  Or you can leave it as it, present the findings to any judging team as a precursor to judging and be the guy with the odd rear valance ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)