Author Topic: Identifying Original Valve Covers?  (Read 4619 times)

Offline JKWilson

Identifying Original Valve Covers?
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »
I'm curious about how to identify original solid letter Cobra valve covers. Are there any specific features or markings that aren't present on repops? I know most current repops do not have the correct opening on the passenger side for the PCV valve. Thanks!

John
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Identifying Original Valve Covers?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »
I'm curious about how to identify original solid letter Cobra valve covers. Are there any specific features or markings that aren't present on repops? I know most current repops do not have the correct opening on the passenger side for the PCV valve. Thanks!

John
Not most but all that I am aware of. Most of the repros have the fin cutout for the bolt access cut into the second row of fins that gives a rounded appearance. The original and some repros are cut only into the first row of fins giving a squared off look to the area. The pcv is the easiest way to tell the repro from the genuine IMHO. You can't use the correct small pcv grommet on the repro valve covers . The large pcv grommet is what is made to work. You have to macgyver one up so the correct small grommet will fit . I hope this helps.  Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »
Bob, it does indeed help out. The reason I stated "most repops", is I thought I recalled some out there with the correct PCV holes. I could certainly be mistaken. I wasn't aware of the difference in fins though for sure! Good info, thanks!

BTW, the reason I'm asking is that I picked a pair up tonight, cheap. ;D The guy told me he "thought" they were older repops, though they had been on his car (not a Shelby), when he bought it and had been painted all blue. They have the correct interior baffling plates, small PCV hole and still had the correct (Ford!), small grommet. It was a deal I couldn't refuse!! I'll check the fins as you mentioned. Again, thanks!

p.s. Is it the single upper bolt area (closest to the carb), the three lower ones (manifold side), or both that are only into the first row of fins?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:42:54 AM by JKWilson »

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »
All of the bolt recesses. Also keep in mind there are genuine Ford ones that have the recess cut into the second fin. These are service pieces and what the repops are copied from.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
As Tim mentioned I should have used the term "assemblyline" instead of original to distinguish between the later service units and the repros that were copied from them.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
Thanks very much guys! I checked mine and all the recesses are squared. The top recess extends through two fins, the bottom ones extend only one fin (exactly like the ones in Bob's attached pic of a '67).