Author Topic: 67 firewall padding finish  (Read 2775 times)

Offline DEWilson

• Maine Mustang Back from the Dead Restoration Shop
67 firewall padding finish
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
i reworked a fire wall padding like some input on how it look

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 firewall padding finish
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
It looks substantialy better then a regular repro. :)good job.  I assume this is not for a SJ built car. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:29:55 PM »
Yes looks nice of Dearborn or NJ applications. Had similar success with a "rain down" process of applying undercoating.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
How many rubber plugs hold the padding in place? I found a hole in my firewall which I didn't know what it was for. It corresponded to one in the pad. Jeff S said it was for the rubber plug. I have a few if these original plugs so I figure there is more than one needed. Don't see any more holes in the firewall though. Are they kind of hidden. The one I found was up high near the accelerator bellcrank so easy to find. Now with the motor in tough to look at firewall on engine side.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
How many rubber plugs hold the padding in place? I found a hole in my firewall which I didn't know what it was for. It corresponded to one in the pad. Jeff S said it was for the rubber plug. I have a few if these original plugs so I figure there is more than one needed. Don't see any more holes in the firewall though. Are they kind of hidden. The one I found was up high near the accelerator bellcrank so easy to find. Now with the motor in tough to look at firewall on engine side.
You can count 5 holes in both sections of your pad. 2 for the small section and 3 for the large. Being a repro pad however the alignment of the holes to your firewall my be less then perfect. Bob
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:08:43 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Im using the original pad so better get my head under there with a light to look for them. That explains why I have so many of the plugs. Thanks

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
They did not all ways use all the holes. My HCS had only 2 or 3.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
 I think I still have 2 or 3 original plugs so I will try to figure out where they go.

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »
Yes looks nice of Dearborn or NJ applications. Had similar success with a "rain down" process of applying undercoating.
yes it was a NJ built car    i used napa spray can black stone guard #4004

Offline DEWilson

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 02:34:23 PM »
on the 67 NJ built car there was three steel pin one used on the large right side pad  and the small left side pad they used two trim screw with fender washer to hold it on