Author Topic: Correct vacuum hoses on Heater hose port to Carb/Dist  (Read 3730 times)

Offline craig429

Correct vacuum hoses on Heater hose port to Carb/Dist
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
For my unrestored 67 San Jose Built April 67, 289 Auto, AC,PS, thermactor, I would like to find the correct the vacuum hoses that connect to the port located at the front of the engine that the heater hose connects to.  The hoses route to the carb and distributor. Does anyone have any pictures of original lines, or know what they should look like?

I found a guy that has a bucket of original hoses, I would like to determine what is correct for my 67.
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct vacuum hoses on Heater hose port to Carb/Dist
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:42:50 PM »
Will look - believe they are all solid lined/marked hoses in Green, Red and other color -

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:30:24 AM »
I know it's green, red and yellow on a 68 but it depends on vacume advance of distributor whether you use 2 hoses or all three. Automatics have single port vacuum advance and dual ports on manuals. That's on a FE. Not sure what small block is.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »
Checked and could not find anything that suggests that they were color coded.

Did find the following in my pictures and references - hope they help in some way. One installed on a car is from 7R03C188372

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:24:54 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
I would just add that if they are coded (I think they probably were) they would be single stripe without MX logo. Follow Jeffs picture for routing and color would be- green/distributor, yellow/carb ported, red/intake source
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline craig429

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
If I used hoses that have a single molded line either marked or non marked (as long as they are all the same style), would that be correct and most likely not loss points?  I currently have the repop MX marked hoses and lost a point.

Thank you for your help
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
If I used hoses that have a single molded line either marked or non marked (as long as they are all the same style), would that be correct and most likely not loss points?  I currently have the repop MX marked hoses and lost a point.

Here is a thought and what I would suggest if I was you.

Place on the car unmarked ribbed hoses routed as shown.

At a show, when approached by the judging team state the following

"Before you get started can I share something with you?  During the restoration of the car we were unable to document if the vacuum hoses that attach to the vacuum tree were color coded like other years or simply left unmarked. Since we were told that paint marks and daubs are not required in this class and placing the wrong ones on the car would be a reason for deduction we chose to leave them off."

Think that should reflect your path so far. Make sense ?  ;)
Jeff Speegle