Author Topic: Replating NOS molding???  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Angela

Replating NOS molding???
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »
Concerning NOS deck lid molding, I have a few questions:

(1) Are these moldings made from Aluminum?
(2) If the molding is aluminum, are they
chrome-plated or are they

Offline Angela

Re: Replating NOS molding???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
I have no idea what just happened, but here is the post I meant to submit:

Concerning NOS deck lid molding, I have a few questions:

(1) Are these moldings made from Aluminum?
(2) If the molding is aluminum, are they chrome-plated or are they clear anodized over polished aluminum?
(3) Can these moldings be rechromed or replated?

I have an NOS trunk lid molding that has many fine scratches in it. I found out the hard way that you cannot sand out these scratches, not even with 2000 grit paper... you just sand through the chrome plating (or whatever it is) and then it looks aweful.

I am trying to figure out what these moldings are actually made of, how they were plated and how they can be refinished.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »
They are anodized and refinishing them is usually quite pricey.  Some here may have some recommendations of places that do it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mbellaire

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
Here is someone that can re-anodize the trim pieces.  As previously stated, it can be pricey.

http://www.kingoftrim.com/home.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:01:18 PM by mbellaire »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
Many times the anodizing on the aluminum mouldings is called  "Brite dip anodizing"  this process is different and gives a different look then clear anodizing would. The brite dip anodizing is difficult to do from what I understand and not many companies do it . they are many platers who specialize in the brite dip process for mouldings however. I don't have any recommendations but Hemmings service catagory is a place to start. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
OK, thanks guys... sounds like the molding is aluminum and anodized instead of chromed. Does anyone have an idea as to how much it costs to get them restored? I hate to ship mine to CA without first having some clue of what it costs. I mean, are we talking about more or less that $100 per molding?

Offline dan green

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:39:41 AM »
Try this guy:
www.1960impala.com
I have had both King Of Trim and Dave Kossman from the site above do aluminum repair and polish, and reanodize.  Dave is a lot more reasonable on price and the same quality.  He is a 59-60 impala guy and sells molding that he has restored on ebay frequently and has good feedback there as well.
There's my 2cents.
If your deck lid molding is NOS and only has light scratches it shouldn't be too pricey, better to have original molding that fits.
Dave is in Idaho BTW.

Offline orgnl70

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
As far as Bright chemical dip, we have it done all the time by Industrial Metal Plating. They are located at     
153 Wagner Lane Reading,Pa. After Chemical dip ask for FLASH clear anodize. Be aware it may be $$$$!