Author Topic: Finish of 65-66 Alternator Brackets  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Finish of 65-66 Alternator Brackets
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »
Most original '65's that I have observed have black painted upper and lower alternator brackets (just talking about V-8's with no AC.)

Has anyone seen any 65-66's with original unpainted brackets somewhere in the production?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Finish of 65-66 Alternator Brackets
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
I have never observed original alternator brackets with anything but semi-gloss black paint.  There is a fella that posts on the hi-po forum that says the original Ford spec. for the lower adjusting bracket was phosphate and oil though.  It's possible that maybe Ford tried that out or maybe the manufacturer changed the spec and painted them black.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »
Bob Mannel's Mustang and Ford Small Block Ford book makes reference to "natural" alt. brackets.

A little off topic, but I just restored a early '68 J-code motor the original alt. brackets had no sign of paint on them.  I removed some later brackets from a mid-year motor and they were painted black.

Mannel's book indicates in 1968 the upper bracket changed mid-year.  Everything I found was consistant with Mannel's book regarding my J-code restoration.

Danny     
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »
Bob Mannel's Mustang and Ford Small Block Ford book makes reference to "natural" alt. brackets.

There are a few pictures in the book of what look like unrestored '65 brackets though, and they are black.  Most of what I have seen so far are black also.

Thanks to both of you for the responses. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
Never seen unpainted alt brackets on any San Jose small blocks - any year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
Brant,
I agree looking at alot of the picture in Mannel's book it is clearly evident black paint was used.  If you look close at some of those pictures looking at both the upper and lower brackets you will also see a definate contrast of finish/color.  Is it the lighting, shadows, or were uppers painted and lowers natural?

I guess what I am trying to say is to keep an open mind on the topic; I am confident of what I found on the '68 J-code motor.  There was not any evidence of paint on either the upper or lower bracket.

Danny

Danny
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
I guess what I am trying to say is to keep an open mind on the topic; I am confident of what I found on the '68 J-code motor.  There was not any evidence of paint on either the upper or lower bracket.

So you found no paint sandwiched between the mount (or transfer to the water pump from the brackets) and the water pump and the engine had not been rebuilt in the past?

Real odd and unusual as mentioned above - will have to keep an eye open for others built in April though the three I have handy are painted
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:17:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:04:18 PM »

So you found no paint sandwiched between the mount (or transfer to the water pump from the brackets) and the water pump and the engine had not been rebuilt in the past?

Real odd and unusual as mentioned above - will have to keep an eye open for others built in April though the three I have handy are painted

Jeff,
The '68 J-code engine I rebuilt was assembled in the Cleveland engine plant in November '67 and I installed in a Dearborn car scheduled for build on November 21, 1967.  I do not have the Marti on that car.  I installed the engine in a Dec. '67 San Jose car.

The engine was original, never detailed or re-painted, never opened up.  The water pump and a few other service parts were replaced all appeared to be Ford parts.  There was absolutely no evidence of paint anywhere on either the upper or lower alt. bracket.  Had I not been using Mannel's book as a Reference I would have probebly painted the brackets black; but when I read his reference to the Alt. brackets I paid specific attention to them.  As you know the east coast is not as favorable to metal as the west coast is.  Is it possible the paint wore off..yes; is it probable to be all gone even behind the bolts...not in my opinion.

I too have examples of the C6OE-10156-A brackets that were obviously painted and of the C7OE-10145-A brackets which were painted; but after reading Mannel's book I pay more attention to these brackets now, and have observed unpainted versions.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:07:35 PM by DTruitt »
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »
Sorry if this got a little off topic since the question was specific to 65-66; but I thought my observations should be noted and possibly indicative to the earlier years.

I know Scott Fuller has some nice examples of unrestored '68's I'll see if he is willing to look at his cars and report his findings.
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

I know Scott Fuller has some nice examples of unrestored '68's I'll see if he is willing to look at his cars and report his findings.

Unfortunately (for this discussion) Scott doesn't seem to find/purchase San Jose built 68's ;) Believe I have engine shots (not sure of the angle) of a number of his cars

A bit off thread - But we can start another thread in the 67-68 area to continue the discussion and findings
Jeff Speegle