Author Topic: Best repro trunk weatherstripping  (Read 6765 times)

Offline astat1

Best repro trunk weatherstripping
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »
I just received a repro weatherstrip from NPD described as correct cross section specific for a 69/70 Shelby convertible. It is a 4 chambered cross section completely unlike the "U" shaped original. Has anyone purchased a correct looking weatherstrip from a different vendor?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Best repro trunk weatherstripping
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »
Unfortunately  (like a fair number of reproductions) the places making the stuff purchased NOS parts to base their reproductions on during the 80's and 90's. Unfortunately (as you found) the NOS stuff is not like the original.

Sorry - don't know anyone that is making correct trunk weatherstripping for any year or model

Unfortunately I think there is only one or two companies that make the stuff - some restorers are reusing good originals if they can find them or in some cases very very early NOS versions
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:04:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »
Any updates on vendors selling trunk weatherstripping? Daniel Carpenter USA made maybe?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
Have you tried Steele Rubber Products? http://www.steelerubber.com/

They show cross-sections for most of their long pieces, so you know what you're getting.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
Thanks, third time I have heard of them, the link helped a lot.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
With the Steele Rubber  site all you need is the measurements and the original profile for your application. That might get in the way of some of us
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:07 PM »
With the Steele Rubber  site all you need is the measurements and the original profile for your application. That might get in the way of some of us

I'm not sure I follow this part of your statement.

I looked it up by application & found it OK: http://www.steelerubber.com/trunk-weatherstrip-20-2858-84
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:09:06 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 09:16:57 PM »
I'm not sure I follow this part of your statement.

I looked it up by application & found it OK: http://www.steelerubber.com/trunk-weatherstrip-20-2858-84

Didn't see a way to look up by application and didn't have a part number when I viewed the site. Guess I missed it somewhere

If the link is meant to represent a 65-66 fastback trunk weatherstrip IMHO they missed the mark if compared to an original. Sure it will seal the trunk though if someone is looking for just that
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 11:36:05 AM »
Have you tried Steele Rubber Products? http://www.steelerubber.com/

They show cross-sections for most of their long pieces, so you know what you're getting.

I bought that one, the rubber is too hard/stiff.  When I installed on a '68, the lid was pushed up along the edges.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
Obviously a NOS weatherstrip would most likely be the best option shy of saving an old original one and somehow managing to transfer it over to another trunk lid.

Since that is quite the longshot these days, and there are so many reproductions out on the market that could possibly at least pass muster for the duty, I have one last request of help on this topic:

Can somebody offer a cross-cut view with measurements of what a GOOD original one  or possibly a NOS one should look like? I can cut out a section of my dry, shrunken and crusty one too but somehow I suppose it is not a great example of what it would have looked like new.

If it is assembly plant or year specific, I am seeking a correct one for my 11/2/66 built 67 San Jose Coupe
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
I have found the carpenter made offerings the best compromise. In some instances the profile is not correct but they are supple like the OEM stuff.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
Agree with Bob, the only repro I've found recently worth a darn is the Carpenter made in USA gasket.

Although, surprisingly, I bought a Carpenter made in USA windshield gasket that was very disappointing.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
Steele's "About Us" page has a bit of the company history, including this:

More than 50-years later Steele Rubber Products still makes rubber parts and weatherstripping using Mr. Steele's proven method of manufacturing parts by hand, and developing new parts by using only originals and detailed research.

Over the years we have developed more advanced tools but it is not uncommon to see our staff members testing our weatherstripping parts on their own classic cars and hot rods.

I haven't worked with them, but those statements suggest they are receptive to working on new reproductions, and have some level of intent to create an accurate reproduction. So if you don't see what you're looking for - contact them, maybe they would be interested in reproducing something that's not already on the market. Not just Steele, but Carpenter, Drake, Marti, Dead Nuts On, Scott Fuller or any of the multi-brand parts companies. [Note: I didn't intentionally exclude any suppliers - I just rattled a few off the top of my head. My apologies if I overlooked any obvious ones!] They aren't going to produce something if they don't know demand exists. And as many threads have mentioned - if you're not happy with a piece you buy, let them know!
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
Obviously a NOS weatherstrip would most likely be the best option shy of saving an old original one and somehow managing to transfer it over to another trunk lid.

Often the NOS are the wrong profiles, instead a new and improved design (by Ford or the supplier of the part) rather than the original profile

That is where many of the reproductions take their shape from

Your correct in that used originals are often misshaped after all these years compressed and twisted while held between the two surfaces for 50 or so years.

Don't know if I can help with a coupe gasket but will see
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
I've attempted to remove some nice original trunk gaskets, but over the years the rubber hardens and the surface just cracks up when flexed.

One detail I've never seen on any repro trunk gasket and also door gaskets is a raw edge where the gasket gets glued down.  This helps give the glue more bite and better secure the gasket.  Can't tell you how many cars I've seen with repro gaskets coming off of the doors.  When I've used repro gaskets, I usually take some 80 grit sandpaper and rough up the glue side edge to help keep them in place.

The C0MB NOS trunk gasket works well for 65-68 convertibles and coupes, but not fastbacks.  The early fastback trunk gasket is very rare to find in the correct profile... which is a thinner version of the coupe/convertible.