Author Topic: Eastwood Tin-Zinc Plating System...Uses for early Mustangs?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I've been playing around with parkerizing/phosphating a little over the past few weeks, and I really like the ability to redo my own fasteners (especially since I have a blasting cabinet).  I was looking on Eastwood's website, and I saw their Tin Zinc plating system.  To make a long story short, is this something that I would find useful for restoring early Mustangs?  I know that the gas tank neck on a '65-66 Mustang is tin zinc plated, but I'm really not sure how common tin zinc is as far as the rest of fasteners/parts on an early Mustang.

I mostly restore '65-69 Mustangs; are there enough zinc plated parts on these cars to justify purchasing this system?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Eastwood Tin-Zinc Plating System...Uses for early Mustangs?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
The zinc can be used on a multitude of small parts like nuts ,bolts small brackets ,radio condensers etc. In many situations the zinc is close enough to the finish of cadmium that you can't tell the difference. After you send a minimum order of nuts and bolts in for plating there is always one or two that are forgotten or discovered after the fact .The kit can be a welcome convenience in that situation. I always have a bucket accumulating of parts to plate working towards a minimum order to run. There are times I just can't wait to put in a order and need just a nut plated for a current project in that case the kit allows me to not have to wait for my big order to go in and get done.  On many tiny or unique parts that I am scared to send in for fear of loss. It gives me a better comfort level doing it myself. It isn't perfect for all situations but it is certainly worth the money in my opinion. I use it a lot . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »
Anyone have a comparison of the caswell kit and eastwood kit?

I've bought and used the caswell copy cad kit with mixed results.  Was thinking of getting it back setup and maybe modify/upgrade the power supply.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
I completely forgot about the Caswell kit.  I knew that someone else out besides Eastwood offered plating kits.  Charles, what don't you like about the one you're using?
Too much junk, too little time.