Author Topic: Trunk filler board  (Read 3619 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Trunk filler board
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
Was there only a drivers side drop panel to rear quarter filler board or did the cars come with one on each side? This pertains to a 68 Dearborn convert.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Trunk filler board
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
Was there only a drivers side drop panel to rear quarter filler board or did the cars come with one on each side? This pertains to a 68 Dearborn convert.
Driver side only. It most likely has to do with the spare tire placement which is the same regardless of bodystyle. Original trunk mats seem to confirm that since they would be cut to lay over any filler board and evidence does not indicate they were.   Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »
Has anyone seen a early 67 hardboard style with screws in a 68? My SJ 7-16-68 High Country Special had what appeared to be a original one when I bought the car. I was not going to use it because I thought it could not be correct but recently found a original Dearborn 68 convertible with the hardboard with screws. Not sure what way to go now. Marty 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Has anyone seen a early 67 hardboard style with screws in a 68? My SJ 7-16-68 High Country Special had what appeared to be a original one when I bought the car. I was not going to use it because I thought it could not be correct but recently found a original Dearborn 68 convertible with the hardboard with screws. Not sure what way to go now. Marty
Do you not have original trunk floors where evidence ether way of screws can be observed? Later production San Jose 67 Mustang normally received the non screw cardboard from what I have seen. Bob   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
So late 68 gets the cardboard and single screw correct? Screw is a philips head with integral washer and phosphate finish? Similar to buck tag screw?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:49:23 AM »
Do you not have original trunk floors where evidence ether way of screws can be observed? Later production San Jose 67 Mustang normally received the non screw cardboard from what I have seen. Bob
Yes it has the original trunk floors and original screws. I know that the latter SJ 67 did not have them. So it would be very unlikely that a late 68 would have one and yet I have found two of them?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:51:42 AM »
So late 68 gets the cardboard and single screw correct? Screw is a philips head with integral washer and phosphate finish? Similar to buck tag screw?
The latter filler used no screws as far as I know. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:20 PM »
So late 68 gets the cardboard and single screw correct? .........

Nope - should be no hole nor screw. Screw style (as mentioned) was last used in 67 and that was with the masonite filler not the cardboard
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:29:36 AM by 68 S Code »

Offline craig429

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
Nope - should be no hole nor screw. Screw style (as mentioned) was last used in 67 and that was with the masonite filler not the cardboard

+1 My late 67 SJ has cardboard with no screw.
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.
1969 Mustang Mach1 390
1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen