Author Topic: Window crank handles 68  (Read 1511 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Window crank handles 68
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
I would like to remove the knobs from my window crank handles. Then I can polish them and reinstall the knobs. I see that there is a stod with threads and a wave washer. Is the knob just pressed onto the stud? I have an NOS knob and it seems to be threaded but I think those grooves are just for grabbing the stud. Looking for some experienced help.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Window crank handles 68
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:37 AM »
The stud has barbs that press into the knob
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
So if I put the handles in a vice and pull on knobs they will pop off? Trick is not to lose the wave washer. To install use a rubber mallet?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
I use a door handle clip tool to pry it off. To put it on set knob on something soft like carpet and tap stud in with drift and hammer
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
Thanks Tim. I will give it a try.
Heading off to the Des Moines show in a few hours. Looking forward to seeing a Mustang only show as its been 20 years since I've been to one. Can't wait to see how the quality of restorations has changed. Also hope that I can pick up the small parts I'm looking for. Moved from the engine compartment to the interior in the last few days. never would have thought that the carpet would take so long. Between aligning, marking and burning the holes, adding some padding here and there it took much longer than anticipated. Moving onto the console but noticed I lost the wiring harness from the console courtesy lamps to the main harness. Kind of stuck now. Finishing detailing of the radio case. Hope to have it ready for seats by early next week.