Author Topic: Painting Upper A Arms -  (Read 4357 times)

Offline jwc66k

Painting Upper A Arms -
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
I made a dip box to dip paint upper A-Arms. I got the measurements down to use about 2 1/2 quarts of paint but the shafts, mounting bolts and bushings need to be off. If I made a dip box big enough to include those items the "box" turns into a 2 gallon monster. I'll brush paint them after they are installed. The two arms with riveted ball joints are NOS for a friend's Shelby, two of the other four came off my "K" car and are for one of my other Mustangs and the other two "may" wind up in another Shelby. This is my second use of the dip box, the first attempt (successful I might add) were to prepare arms for my "K" car that came off that first Shelby.
Yes, I'm in SF Bay Area, see the lemon tree in background in the second picture.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Painting Upper A Arms -
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
Definitely works for using less paint, thanks for sharing.  I have a 5 gallon bucket of black I use for this.

You need a tumbler to get the natural part of those arms looking right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
I like to paint them all together because the innershafts are supposed to be painted and the fear of damaging the paint when trying to rivet on the ball joint.  It is a oblong trash can that I use and seal it up tight for storage. Just my preference. +1 on the tumbling . I am still looking for a big one. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
It all comes down to compromise: no large tumbler and $20 plus a quart for paint for starts. At this stage I don't think that I would do any more sets of A arms (4 sets are enough) so a minimal investment was a key factor. As to dipping a complete assembly (shaft and bushings installed), any judging is done with the arms installed, wheels on and the car on the ground. When SAAC or MCA go to a goose neck mounted TV camera as a judging tool then I'll consider a larger dip box.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
....... As to dipping a complete assembly (shaft and bushings installed), any judging is done with the arms installed, wheels on and the car on the ground. ..........

Its often surprising how much we can see - its all about the angles ;)

Its always about choices - just be prepared for the results. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »
Its often surprising how much we can see - its all about the angles ;)

Its always about choices - just be prepared for the results.
Assuming that the more or less propper "dip paint line" is visible, if you can tell the difference between a completely dipped A arm and a brush painted shaft and bushings installed after dipping, especially with a "rotund judge" looking up or under or over or around, more power to ya, I can't. Now jacking up the front end for a peek is not kosher in MCA judging, for a full concours prepared car, it's a different story.
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
SAAC already allows flashlights and MCA will be following suit. 

Like Jeff says, just a choice, so do whatever you are comfortable with.  I agree that properly brushed, would be hard to tell unless someone knew they were brushed and looking for clues. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
Let me see if I get this correct; a painting process, used on a limited basis, that uses four times the quantity of paint (somewhere around $180 to $200 more) is preferred to a process that the results, when the items are painted separately by different methods and installed on a car, are difficult to see even with a flashlight? 
Just checking.
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
Just depends on what your goals/aspirations are with the final product.  Your method works fine for those that only do this once in a while.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
Charles,
Thanks for the "vote" of confidence. You are correct in that if I had an open budget or had mass production aspirations, I would probably do it differently.
Just for reference, I dipped 8 A arms for under $20, and have about two and a quarter quarts of paint left. The box was constructed from scrap wood effectively at no cost.
Jim

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »
As the saying goes...when life hands you lemons....paint A arms!
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)