Author Topic: 68 shift indicator light operating rod with console became disconnected  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Murf

Due to my stupidity the little plastic rod that connects the shifter handle to the gear selector indicator light became disconnected, on the shift handle end I think, and of course now indicates the car is in "PARK" all of the time.  My question is this - is there any way to get this little plastic rod back where it belongs without a complete removal of the console and/or removal of the seats.  Has anyone ever been able to "sneak" that little rod back into its home without removal of lots of parts.  Do not even ask how I managed to disconnect that thing!  And I am way too old to have done it in the way that may first come to mind!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 68 shift indicator light operating rod with console became disconnected
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
You might be able to remove the 4 floor screws and maneuver the console enough to get your hands in there to get the rod back on.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin