Author Topic: Lets talk about wear items - Oil Filter and Hoses.  (Read 3188 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Lets talk about wear items - Oil Filter and Hoses.
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
If you have a concours driver and you change your oil.  Example, according to the MCA rule book, you get a deduction if your Motorcraft Fl-1A does not have the embossed 'Motorcraft' on top.  The problem is, newer Motorcraft FL-1A filters are not embossed.

What about hoses.  My 79 5.0 Cobra which I am restoring the Motorcraft 'Marked hoses' from factory are nearly impossible to find.  I have some Motorcraft hoses which are correct but they don't have the striping the like factory ones.  An example of a 300 Mile Pace car, which I use as a reference is below.

I know older Mustangs have 'Reproduction hoses with the correct markings'  What if you have NOS hoses which are not marked like the picture below.  Still a point deduction??

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Lets talk about wear items - Oil Filter and Hoses.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
If entered in a Concours class the standard is as the car was delivered. So if a part visually is different from that you can expect some deduction no matter how small or at least a note. This allows judges to reward owners and cars for having the details rather than lowering the standard to sometime less than how the car was delivered which always IMHO leads to problems with how far owners or judges will take it

What about hoses.  My 79 5.0 Cobra which I am restoring the Motorcraft 'Marked hoses' from factory are nearly impossible to find.  I have some Motorcraft hoses which are correct but they don't have the striping the like factory ones.  An example of a 300 Mile Pace car, which I use as a reference is below.

If judges choose to do this how would an owner feel who had the correct markings (using your example)? Or the person that searched out and found the part?

I know older Mustangs have 'Reproduction hoses with the correct markings'  What if you have NOS hoses which are not marked like the picture below.  Still a point deduction??

Through the years we've found that this is why parts get reproduced. If there is not a demand for the parts no one would invest in making them and in turn owners would be given no choice.  When we had "best available" owners were often forced to replace a part multiple times - every time a slightly better part (but still not correct) was made available.

Very few cars entered in Concours Driven are really driven more than 500 miles a year it seems - more often they are older trailered cars that owners are using slightly or in the case of late model cars unrestored (or slightly restored) cars with a few replacement parts allowed by the rules

Since the replacement part is different you could lose a very small amount but owners of early cars have also discovered that NOS does not mean correct or like original as we did in the 80-90's
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:26:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the help!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Dudley

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »
How often do the judges check the air filter element?  I do have an original Autolite FA50 which matches the service sticker on the outside of the air cleaner body.
Same question for the points, condensor, cap, and rotor. The cap has to be removed to verify that I have all the correct components. I am all too happy to open things up as proof of correctness, just curious is all since the question was raised. Thank you
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:27:17 AM by Dudley »
current ride: 1968 Mustang coupe, 11,900 mile survivor/unrestored CA blk plate. May/June build PS,AC, AT, 289-2V. pix available at   .http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/105333

Online caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
MCA has placed so much emphasis on minimizing contact with cars that things like air filters and point contacts are given the benefit of a doubt.  Most times these items would not make any difference in Concours classes.  Usually in Thoroughbred or possibly Unrestored class, the owner might be asked to remove the air cleaner to check the air filter and carb.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin