Author Topic: 69 Leaf Spring Paint Marks  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Spectre

69 Leaf Spring Paint Marks
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
Hey Jeff,
I'm in the process of restoring the leaf springs on my 69 Mach 1.  I can make out where the original paint markings were located but I cannot make out the colors.  Do you have any info on what the correct colors for the leafs should be?  The car is an original Mach 1, S code.  It was built in San Jose on 10/1/68 with a C-6 Transmission and power front disc brakes. Thanks for any info.
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Leaf Spring Paint Marks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
Hi Mike

Checked my list of built sheets and it seems that I don't have a sample from another car matching your car's description so, it will take a few more steps but lets see where this leads. Basically backwards engineering for the info

What are the numbers on you leaf springs - the short leaf?

Also - is there any color left  or just a section where the surface texture is different?
IF there is any color left you can spray some over cleaner over the area and when the chemicals react they will expand and highlight the color for a few seconds allowing you get an idea of that was there.

Left see if we can get you some answers  ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Spectre

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:07:31 AM »
Hey Jeff,
I have not actually taken the springs off the axle yet so from what I could see of the small leaf I could not make out any numbers. There is a pretty thick layer of undercoat on the spring so it may just be covered if the numbers are faint. I scraped off as much as I could but still didn't see any numbers.
It appears that there are two stripes on the spring where the texture is different as you described.  I scraped around where the paint marks were and I found a couple of specks on the edge of the leaf.  The first  looks like it may be either orange or red (leaning more towards orange),  which is the stripe closest to the end of the spring. The second stripe is a light color possibly white or yellow but very hard to tell.  Once I get the springs off I can look for the numbers and let you know.  Thanks for the help.
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:48 AM »
Sounds good. Your going to have to clean them to mark them anyway ;)

Should be C9AZ ......- something. Or possibly C7AZ  Its the -? that is important. With that we can look towards other examples (that we know the marks on) that used the same spring.

GOod luck and have fun
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »
I need to know the stripe colors on my front coil and rear leaf springs on my DEARBORN built 10/10/68 R code MACH 1 I am restoring. This is a automatic with a/c car and the rear leaf springs are a c9za part #. The original leafs appeared to be kind of a drab green and another color I could not make out, it also appeared to be kind of blue green color, any help would be appreciated.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
I need to know the stripe colors on my front coil and rear leaf springs on my DEARBORN built 10/10/68 R code MACH 1 I am restoring.

Front springs  are listed (buildsheet from a similar car) as 1 Gold and 1 Gray stripe

This is a automatic with a/c car and the rear leaf springs are a c9za part #. The original leafs appeared to be kind of a drab green and another color I could not make out, it also appeared to be kind of blue green color, any help would be appreciated.

Would be more to the identification C9ZA-xxxx-x but a similar buildsheet suggest that the colors may have been

Rear springs  are listed (buildsheet from a similar car) as Gold & Violet

Found the same colors on all of the 25 428 R and Q code Mach I buildsheets I have from through out the year. Did not have one from October so can not be certain there was not a running change. The ones I have that were marked as listed above would carried the identification of - C9ZA-5556-G and a date code
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
Thanks, and your correct with that complete part#, I just remembered the prefix when I was typing in my question however I checked later and the # you gave me matches. My rear springs were very rusty and the colors really could not be made out so I will go with that.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007