Author Topic: Firewall adhesive removal tips?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Firewall adhesive removal tips?
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Anyone know of a good solvent for removing the firewall goop (adhesive) that was used to cover up holes and such on the firewall?  I'm most interested in what would work on the wire insulation, as it is a bear to remove and clean up the wiring.  I've found that fingernails and liberal uses of lacquer thinner sometimes works...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Firewall adhesive removal tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
Anyone know of a good solvent for removing the firewall goop (adhesive) that was used to cover up holes and such on the firewall?  I'm most interested in what would work on the wire insulation, as it is a bear to remove and clean up the wiring.  I've found that fingernails and liberal uses of lacquer thinner sometimes works...
WD40,kerosene. lacquer thinner of course works but may remove the markings on the wire too.I use the washing machine with detergent to remove the easy stuff.  after I get the heavy stuff off with the kerosene or WD 40 rerun in the washing machine . It works a little better if you run your dirty rags in along with the harness  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
I am sure that method works better than the ole smoke wrench you used last time bob.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
I am sure that method works better than the ole smoke wrench you used last time bob.
I stopped using that a while back because I did't want you to think I was copying your techniques  ;)  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby