Author Topic: Point Deduction's for non Carlite glass  (Read 3224 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Point Deduction's for non Carlite glass
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
My rear glass was replaced before I got my Cobra and I am having a HARD time finding correct 'Date Coded' Carlite rear glass.  :(

I am going to keep looking, but if I can't find one, how much would I get deducted at a Concours Restored Class at a MCA show?  The rest of the glass is correct.

Thanks
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Point Deduction's for non Carlite glass
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »
PIlkington glass should be able to make one for you with the correct logo and date code...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
Keep in mind that for the Concours MCA classes, date codes are not checked.  If you can find a nice original that maybe the date is off on, you can use it now and keep searching for a better one.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
Keep in mind that for the Concours MCA classes, date codes are not checked.  If you can find a nice original that maybe the date is off on, you can use it now and keep searching for a better one.

Would they check to make sure it is Carlite?  I have one in there now but it is not Carlite.  I will try PIlkington.

Thanks
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Would they check to make sure it is Carlite?  I have one in there now but it is not Carlite.  I will try PIlkington.

Thanks

It will have to be OEM glass.

Offline craig429

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
It will have to be OEM glass.

I know the original post was about a 79 Cobra, this question is for my 70 that at some point I would like to replace the glass as after 40+ years they have lots of small scratches.

Charles, there are a couple companies out there (example PS glass)that will restamp glass with the correct Carlite and date stamp.  Will the judges be able to tell it is not OEM and deduct points?
1967 Mustang Sport Sprint Coupe 289 Auto, AC, PS, CA Smog, Built April 1967 in San Jose.  Unrestored, one family owned and in my possession since 1980.

1970 Mustang Mach 1 428SCJ Auto, PS, PDB, medium bright blue metallic with White Shaker, built Sept 12, 69 in Metuchen

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
Charles, there are a couple companies out there (example PS glass)that will restamp glass with the correct Carlite and date stamp.  Will the judges be able to tell it is not OEM and deduct points?

The repro glass I have seen looks pretty good so I would not expect any issues with Concours judging except maybe in the T-bred class.  But, there are so few cars being prepared for that class, I hesitate to even mention it.