Author Topic: Motor Mount Insulator - Black?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
Motor Mount Insulator - Black?
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
67 s-code Dearborn built.... Wanted to confirm if the Insulator section of the motor mounts should be painted black? I've restored the frame mounts with Jeff's example as a guide.......Did I say I love the Evap-O-Rust.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Motor Mount Insulator - Black?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 04:37:43 AM »
67 s-code Dearborn built.... Wanted to confirm if the Insulator section of the motor mounts should be painted black? I've restored the frame mounts with Jeff's example as a guide.......Did I say I love the Evap-O-Rust.
The assemblyline units I have observed typically came with the upper section of the rubber mount covered in a thin coat of what looks like a rubberized product .Some bare metal areas (as if scratched)sometimes are also visable on the upper area. It could be replicated with paint . The lower secton that extends out of the rubber of the motor mount down to where the bolt hole is was predominantly bare metal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 390Pony

• It's all Good
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
Thanks again Bob...That makes sense...after cleaning up, there is distinct chunks of rubber on the top edges with some along most all of the metal edges, even in holes for the lower through bolts.....probably remnanats from the part production process you mention.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:12:49 AM »
Napa (among other vendors) sells a wheel bead sealer that is a black, rubbery "brush in can" type of BLACK that might help duplicate the rubber-like substance and or be used to freshen up a good used doner mount.

Just an idea...I haven't tried it...Thoughts?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments