Author Topic: Adhesion Promoter on Rear Seat Plastic/Fiberglass, '69 Mach?  (Read 5311 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I was wondering what the general consensus was on using adhesion promoter on '69 Mustang interior parts.  I'm finishing up the interior restoration on my '69 Mach.  It's a white interior with the fixed rear seat.  All of the panels are original Ford pieces, but I had to buy two used sail panel trim pieces since my originals were broken and disintegrating.  These two used pieces are green, and I need to paint them white.  I'd really hate to paint everything white and have it chip or fleak off the first time anyone rides in the back seat area.

So far, I've removed all of the original paint using Easy Off oven cleaner.  The large interior quarter panels are down to the bare fiberglass, but I've held off on using the Easy Off on the smaller panels because I didn't know what they were made of.  Is all of the rear seat area trim on a non-fold down car fiberglass, or is it a mixture of fiberglass and plastic? 

I read the article in the latest Mustang monthly about using adhesion promoter on plastic interior pieces, but I'm not sure if this applies also to fiberglass panels.  Is there any reason to use adhesion promoter (like SEM's Sand Free) on fiberglass?  Adhesion promoter aside, I don't want to remove the grain in the panels--do I simply scuff them with a gray or red scuff pad, or should I be using a certain grit of sandpaper?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Adhesion Promoter on Rear Seat Plastic/Fiberglass, '69 Mach?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Believe the adhesion promoter is simply something like lacquer thinner in a can.  The idea being that a light application will react enough with the plastic to soften it and create a stronger bond with paint.  Most of the adhesion promoters I have used were clear, no color.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
Charles, I've used SEM's Plastic Adhesion Promoter before.  I think it's a slightly different product than SEM Sand Free that the Mustang Monthly article recommended.  Like you said, that stuff apparently works by slightly softening the surface of the plastic, thus giving a stronger bond.  My concern was whether or not this would do the same on fiberglass.  I didn't want to mess up the fiberglass by using adhesion promoter on it.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »
In my opinion, it would have less effect on fiberglass than plastic.  But, I would recommend to try a test area first.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
No need need for promoter on fiberglass panels or smaller dash panels 69-70.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
Never used promoters except when recoloring seats or door panels
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll skip the adhesion promoter, then.  Is a gray or red scuff pad the best thing to use to rough up the surface before painting?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll skip the adhesion promoter, then.  Is a gray or red scuff pad the best thing to use to rough up the surface before painting?

Very very lightly as you don't want to remove any of the top surface from the raised areas and leave more material on the valleys - just works to reduce the texture :(

Make sure its all clean is IMHO the most important thing. Could always strip all the rear panels - that is what I did on the last one . With Easy Off oven cleaner
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Ok, I'll be sure to tread lightly.  I've already stripped the biggest pieces with Easy Off, so I don't have that much more to do.