Author Topic: What's the finish on 1967 Parking Light Retainers?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

What's the finish on 1967 Parking Light Retainers?
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »
After two days of soaking in Evaporust (I love this stuff!), my parking light retainers are now rust free and ready for refurbishing.  The question now is what was the original finish on these?
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: What's the finish on 1967 Parking Light Retainers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
zinc dichromate.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
Great - thanks Pete!
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »
zinc dichromate.

Regards,
Pete Morgan
Pete I have see zinc dichromate on all 68s but often see clear zinc on 67s
Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
I believe both 67 and 68 retainers were zinc dichromate gold. I have seen too many examples that were . At the very least I am positive there are assemblyline examples of the gold for both years . I don't believe silver is a assemblyline finish in this case but can understand why it may be considered a possible variety.I have seen many that looked silver but could find remnants of the gold in the protected areas that are flush with the valance.  As a observation The clear zinc aspect my be misinterpreted because the silver is the base coat before the dichromate dye and since most of the NOS ones I have now and many that I have seen on cars in the past are light gold to begin with ,the dye coming off (which can happen relatively easy) and leaving the silver undercoating caused by various in the field conditions might lead one to suspect the retainers were only clear zinc (silver).  Just some thoughts to add to the discussion. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 05:11:15 AM »
I don't know if it is appropriate for continuing this thread, but I have some other questions concerning the parking light assembly.

In attachment picture 2 with the whole assembly of the parking light.
Since we know that the finish of the retainer and the stamped nut (part '3') is zinc dichromate, what would be the finish of the other parts?
- the stud (part '1) : also zinc dichromate?
  -> is it possible for screwing it out from the housing (part '4')
- the housing where the wire is attached to (part '2')
- the inside finish of part '4' seems (to me at least) galvanised? -> see picture 1.
  -> Is the outside finish than the same as the inside?
  -> How must I dismantle this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »
I don't know if it is appropriate for continuing this thread, but I have some other questions concerning the parking light assembly.

Since we know that the finish of the retainer and the stamped nut (part '3') is zinc dichromate, what would be the finish of the other parts?
- the inside finish of part '4' seems (to me at least) galvanised? -> see picture 1.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
1,2,3 or zinc dichromate . 4 is typical die cast metal . When fresh and smooth it sometimes has a multi flaked look similar to galvanizing look but much less pronounced on die cast. That look will flatten out and look solid gray appearing if bead blasted or covered with clear. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 03:49:15 PM »

Kind regards,
Jeroen
1,2,3 are typically zinc dichromate . 4 is typical die cast metal . When fresh and smooth it sometimes has a multi flaked look similar to galvanizing look but much less pronounced on die cast. That look will flatten out and look solid gray appearing if bead blasted or covered with clear.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
Agree with the dichromate - we've discussed there many times how poorly the yellow dye in the process lives up when exposed over the years leaving just the base zinc

1,2,3 are typically zinc dichromate . 4 is typical die cast metal . When fresh and smooth it sometimes has a multi flaked look similar to galvanizing look but much less pronounced on die cast.

+1  - Like cast aluminum in many ways die case or pot metal had a modeled look and the finish didn't often look consistent across the whole piece (more noticeable on large parts) from my observations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:19:08 AM »
Thanks a lot Jeff and Bob!
Most helpfull  :)
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967