Author Topic: seat listing wires 65 pony front seat  (Read 3835 times)

Offline tnguy624

seat listing wires 65 pony front seat
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »
Hello all, it's been forever since I've been on here, been busy working on my new project 66 mustang convertible.

I'm reupholstering the front seats with a pony interior which I got from distinctive industries, and have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me. When I took the old upholstery off, There were three listing wires hog ringed to the seat frame, two going down the sides and one in the middle diagonally where the seat foam has a split. I noticed though that the original upholstery was not hog ringed to the area in the middle and there were no listing wires or place for them in that area. There were just 2 listing wire in the upholstery it' self going down each side. The frame I was redoing was an original pony interior seat frame. 

The new upholstery had a place for a listing wire in that area, though it was sewed shut at both ends. Since the original didn't have one, will the fit be right if I leave them off on the new ones? I noticed in the assembly manual that it didn't show wires there either.

Also one other question, I did upholster one seat, and after I put the seats together, the seat will not go all the way, back. I crushed the foam as much as possible as I was installing the hog rings. It appears the bottom of the seat back it rubbing against the seat bottom, and keeping it from going all the way back to the adjuster screw. The foam I used came from Mustangs Unlimited, and I found out it was the made in China stuff, could this be part of my problem? I have thought about shaving the foam off at the bottom, so the upholstery will not bulge out as bad and that should let the seat go back as it's suppose to.

Any advice ideas, and two cents worth would be great appreciated, and I thank all in advance who could help me figure all this out.

Thanks so much,
Terry
1966 Convertible
Born Jan. 17, 1966 Dearborn
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Born  May 27, 1966  Dearborn
D-4 Interior: Parchment/Emberglo
V    Exterior: Emberglo
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
Moved to Australia Dec. 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: seat listing wires 65 pony front seat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »
You need the inner wires, otherwise the cover will be flat on the seat and loose fitting.  You can make new ones with a hanger or bale wire.

Sounds like you need to trim the foam on the other seat, especially if it's repro foam.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline tnguy624

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice!!!!
1966 Convertible
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
The Deluxe seat assembly is fairly well documented in the Osborn 1965 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, pg 21.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline tnguy624

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:53:26 AM »
I have the Osborne 66 interior assembly manual, I put 65 in the heading by mistake. It does not show any listing wire in the center section, which is why I was uncertain, and because the original seat covers did not have a listing wire in them either in that area nor did they have the cloth "loop" to contain the wire.  But as Caspain65 said it would be needed to keep that area of the cushion from being loose and sloppy. But thanks for the info.
1966 Convertible
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:26 AM »
Keep in mind that the Osborne assembly manuals are by no means complete or even absolutely accurate.  What we have is simply a snap-shot of some documents that were used during assembly at a certain time at a certain plant.  From what I understand when they found these, it was in a damp area and a lot of the drawings could not be saved.

In the case of the seat diagrams, I see no reason why the '65 pony seat would be any different than '66.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »
Keep in mind that the Osborne assembly manuals are by no means complete or even absolutely accurate.  What we have is simply a snap-shot of some documents that were used during assembly at a certain time at a certain plant.  From what I understand when they found these, it was in a damp area and a lot of the drawings could not be saved.
Gee, I guess I did all those seats wrong. I took them apart and the Osborn assembly manuals gave me an idea how to put them back together again. I did document what I did in sketch form (sorry, no photos - pre-digital camera days) on a couple of seats and I've found several variations in components, the burlap and the color of the felt mostly. The assembly manuals gave me an idea as to assembly steps, how many hog rings and where things went. It did help that my grandfather was an uphosterer, I used tools from the 1920's, and several local companies sold me materials, all of which guided me into replacing what I took out with what I put in. I realize that the guys who made the original seats were doing their jobs a bit different because people do things different, with different materials, time, plants etc. But the bottom line is that Osborn assembly manuals, even copied from storage in a damp location are better than used Charmin.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Jim: My comment was made in response to the OP stating there was no diagram for '66.  If you want to go by the drawings to the 'T', that is your choice and I couldn't care less if that's what you do.  It has been stated many times that there are little things here and there that don't fit with what we see on assembled cars, it doesn't hurt to convey that information when necessary.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
The 66 seat assembly documentation is in AM0012 on page 21 (T6-8620). Also, the numbering of the items is very close to the assembly order used in the factory. I've found that "quirk" to be common on many of the Osborn reproductions. The 66 sheet is a copy of the 65 sheet with item 11 removed from the "steps" but left on the drawing.
Jim