Author Topic: 66 mustang convertible quarter cover (inside)  (Read 1246 times)

Offline tnguy624

66 mustang convertible quarter cover (inside)
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
First off I want to thank all for the input on my seat upholstery. I'm finished with them and they didn't turn out half bad. I would suggest
 stay away from the Chinese cushion foam

I have just finished putting the vinyl on the rear quarter panel covers that go on the inside. I am now to the point of putting the snap buttons back on. I bought the Scott Drake type that have the original style snap buttons. They are attached by compressing the back side.

My question is , is there a way to install them and install them properly without having to buy the tool that NPD sell for 100.00? I just hate spending that kind of money do do just  6 snap buttons.

Also does anyone know where to get the snaps buttons that go on the steel part of the quarter panel cover? The three that attach to the fiberglass have a ridge around them. at the bottom of the snap they flare out.  The one each that goes on the metal part did not have the flair out like the others .

As always thanks so much in advance for any help or advice anyone can give me.

Terry
1966 Convertible
Born Jan. 17, 1966 Dearborn
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Born  May 27, 1966  Dearborn
D-4 Interior: Parchment/Emberglo
V    Exterior: Emberglo
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
Moved to Australia Dec. 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 mustang convertible quarter cover (inside)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
I have a friend at a trim shop who places a small washer over the end of the tip on the back and uses a real small counter-sunk oval head screw that he taps into the hole of the snap with a hammer.  Otherwise, some other options are to use roll tip punches.  Neither of these will look right, but from the outside will be fine.  Only way to make it look right is to get the NPD tool or buy a rivet squeezer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin