Author Topic: 67 Coupe trunk filler panel  (Read 216 times)

Offline Deuce

67 Coupe trunk filler panel
« on: April 24, 2024, 04:35:33 PM »
Signature 67 coupe is in body shop for rear end damage repair.  Photos below are of the masonite filler panel found by the body shop, in the Left rear corner of the trunk void.  The Right side filler panel is totally missing, if there ever was one.   I think originally these panels were flat and covered the inside well between the quarter panel and trunk floor, then covered by the trunk mat.

Have researched older CMF posts, and occasional references are made to these trunk panels being reproduced.   Does anyone know if they are available/source for a 67 coupe?

Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Coupe trunk filler panel
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 05:18:08 PM »
Signature 67 coupe is in body shop for rear end damage repair.  Photos below are of the masonite filler panel found by the body shop, in the Left rear corner of the trunk void.  The Right side filler panel is totally missing, if there ever was one.   I think originally these panels were flat and covered the inside well between the quarter panel and trunk floor, then covered by the trunk mat.

Have researched older CMF posts, and occasional references are made to these trunk panels being reproduced.   Does anyone know if they are available/source for a 67 coupe?

>Left side only. Early 67 used the Masonite with two large screws holding it down. Coupe, fastback or convert are all the same for this part. https://www.npdlink.com/product/trunk-side-filler-board-lh/206033
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 11:25:29 PM »
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:14:52 AM »
My Dec SJ had the phillips head screw type for this situation.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:18:27 AM »
My Dec SJ had the phillips head screw type for this situation.
The Phillips head screw type is the early Masonite board fastener https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=011229-1AK&top_parent=200001&year=  . I have not seen the hex head one used for this application.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Deuce

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:38:46 AM »
The Phillips head screw type is the early Masonite board fastener https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=011229-1AK&top_parent=200001&year=  . I have not seen the hex head one used for this application.

The Application notes for each of the NPD Mounting Kits call out the Phillips head screws for 67 SJ cars; and hex head for Dearborn.  I'll go with Phillips for my SJ car.
Deuce

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:18:31 PM »
The Application notes for each of the NPD Mounting Kits call out the Phillips head screws for 67 SJ cars; and hex head for Dearborn.  I'll go with Phillips for my SJ car.
You do that. ::)

Offline Murf

« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:54:30 PM »
The thickness of the Masonite used in the factory installed filler boards seems to be unobtainable.  Has anyone found a source for what I measured as 3/16" ? The current available  reproductions are a bit thicker than the originals. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Today at 03:11:46 PM »
murf, who's gonna know. they did not catch your elephant in the room too many times did they?
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:18:50 PM »
The thickness of the Masonite used in the factory installed filler boards seems to be unobtainable.  Has anyone found a source for what I measured as 3/16" ? The current available  reproductions are a bit thicker than the originals.
The material available today is probably a metric equivalent . There are examples of other repro parts that are slightly thicker, larger etc. and the explanation by mfg's when asked has been that it is a metric equivalent of what is available. This all started about 25 years ago or at least when I started to first notice changes in different repro parts.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:14:41 PM »

Had not heard or seen the different attaching hardware but a quick look at my pictures it appears there is some truth to this. Will start a new thread to look into the subject and post examples. Not really, at this point, a running change so will try and cover all three plants in one thread and see how that goes

Also while on the subject all three body types use the same filler board or panel.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:59:03 PM »
Had not heard or seen the different attaching hardware but a quick look at my pictures it appears there is some truth to this. Will start a new thread to look into the subject and post examples. Not really, at this point, a running change so will try and cover all three plants in one thread and see how that goes

Also while on the subject all three body types use the same filler board or panel.
My post was in the context of the OP's signature car which is SJ  built. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:23:12 PM »
My post was in the context of the OP's signature car which is SJ  built.

:) Yes I understand and now we have a new thread focused on the hardware at all three plants
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)