Author Topic: Console Wiring Harness Labels -  (Read 2142 times)

Offline jwc66k

Console Wiring Harness Labels -
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
Some time back I had a sample of an original 65-66 full length console wiring harness label so I scanned it and made a usable label for some other original and reproduction harnesses I had. Yesterday I got a hold of an air conditioning console with a good original wiring harness label so I did the same, made a usuable label. Based on the part numbers I saw on the labels I guessed what the 64-early 65 full length console wiring harness label should be.
My conclusions:
C4ZB-13B711-A is the full length harness used with the glove box light attached to the front glove box cover. It was used in all 1964 and early 1965 consoles. The part number is not confirmed.
C4ZB-13B711-B is the air conditioning harness for the short console used on all 1964 thru 1966 consoles.
C5ZB-13B711-A is the full length harness used with the glove box light installed on top of the glove box and activated by the headlamp switch. It was used in later 1965 and all 1966 consoles, a transition date is unknown. Note the typo error on the first "1" in 13B711, they used an "I". See the last picture.
If you need a label for your console's harness feel free to print one out. You may have to adjust your printer (if possible) to make the label 1.0 inch wide. The length varies from showing two FOMOCO and two part numbers to a combination of two or three each for a total of five, see the last picture. The ends should be "saw tooth" like what you would get from a tape dispenser although you may have to slide the label over as most current dispensers are for tape that is 3/4 inch wide. When the original label was cut the ends were not uniform, again see the last picture. The label itself in all applications I have seen was at the rear or the harness about 4 inches from the bullet connectors for the rear light. I used "Elmers" contact cement, the original glue was an off white something and it is still sticky on the wrapping tape over the harness. The label was not wrapped completely around the harness but went around then the ends stuck together. This was done hastely at the assembly line so be sloppy.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Console Wiring Harness Labels -
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
Nice work - looks very similar to a bunch (art work and such) - Got to ask - why the gold or brown background ( at least that is what I'm seeing) ?  Remember dirty white labels - will double check the nail keg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:25:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:46:47 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I have several console harness labels with that dingy brown tint, both sides. Call it by design, or age, they are 45 to 48 years old. The fourth picture is the first one I scanned that was the basis for the 65-66 harness. The last sample, for the A/C console, is sitting on my desk (returned to the harness tomorrow) and it too is "tan".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Here's the original short console harness label. It's going back on the harness as soon as I get done "surfin' the net".
Jim

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
Here's an original label from my short console for a/c, June 64 scheduled build date.

-Chris

64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
Thanks Chris, your picture confirms the grungy brown/tan paper they used back then, or what it looks like now. The console that I "borrowed" the label from is up on e-bay.
Jim