Author Topic: Unrestored Late 66 San Jose Pictures  (Read 3246 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Unrestored Late 66 San Jose Pictures
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:02:50 AM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners (this one had paint touchups, dealer AC and evidence of a rear end collision) . Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

I've got lots more from this car but just choose a few to illustrate a couple cool details. Hope the sharing of these will help all of our understanding of these cars and foster some discussions.

Car presents itself as a 9,000 mile car (6R07C23137x) that was not stored really well (well by Calif standards ;) I've attempted to stay away from sharing pictures where repair was made. This car recently showed up at a MCA national show though these pictures were taken from maybe 8 years ago.

Enjoy

Nice runs across the top of the firewall

Pretty C6 starter relay - not an easy piece to find when you need one 

Some of the sealant applied to the firewall. Take not that this is a more "stringy" product that that used at other plants (more like spray adhesive out of a can) that was used on early San Jose cars.

That paint shadow below the firewall to cowl lip again. Some of the painters just didn't want to bend over much

Firewall on drivers side - notice that the hoses and seal for the AC lines is not sealed on this car BECAUSE the AC was added at the dealer. If done at factory this would have the same spray as the rest of the items (except for the engine ground wire and screw) as the rest

Front of the engine

Rear of the engine and firewall face

Random shot of the drivers side of engine with air cleaner off

Close up of the paint overspray on the passenger exhaust manifold as well as hardware in the area

Trunk shot of the passenger side - showing the divider pad behind the rear seat

Shot of the jack and hardware

Interior shot of the inner edge of the passenger front seat. Shows some of the hardware finishes and the location of one of the inner carpet screws (four used in all along the front edge of the rear carpet section)

Close up of the rear package tray texture, finish and screw

Shot of the glove box and misc hardware

Black out detail of the lower grill bar tab

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:46:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
Re: Unrestored 66 San Jose Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
Great pictures, Jeff!  Would love to see more.  Thanks for sharing!
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
A few more

A little rust on the dist hold downs. Can make out the painted by pass hose and clamp as well as other details

Jeff Speegle

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
Interesting...wire style radiator hose clamps? Very nice photos!

Offline bmsa66

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »
Is the lower grill bar tab supposed to have a fixing of some sort. My SJ May 66 is also missing anything, always figured it was left off when restored and I should sort it out?
Cheers

Ben

6R07KXXXXXX

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
Interesting...wire style radiator hose clamps? Very nice photos!

Exactly what we would expect for a San Jose V8 with that vin ;)  Example of why we always stress including when and where are car was built when a detail question is asked here. Oh and they are all "detail " questions  ;D

Spend about a half a day looking at the car (most of the time my photos go down hill as time passes)  was inspecting the car for a member here - way before the site was established.  Some of us recently saw the car at a show - as usual something had been changed (as well as wear and tear) since I saw it many years ago

Is the lower grill bar tab supposed to have a fixing of some sort. My SJ May 66 is also missing anything, always figured it was left off when restored and I should sort it out?

The hex head screw has fallen out over the years - you can barely make out the wear shadow in the picture along the bottom edge
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:59:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
In the same picture (the sixth one in the first post) along with the wire clamp, the bypass hose doesn't look painted and it's clamp has the appearance of a clamp removed and replaced (paint chipped away), sort of what you might see when a thermostat is replaced. Looks like an unpainted thermostat gasket edge as well. The valve cover looks like a 302 type too (late 66).
On the next picture, I've marked up my 66 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual to note the position of the part ID tag for the AT back-up and park/neutral cable.
Second set of pictures, the last one with the radiator - I thought that the C4ZE Z2 tag was not use on San Jose cars?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:12:20 AM »
There is a nutclip (45144-S2) and a screw (42127-S8) that go there. The screw is the same one that is used at the grill ends (and other places on the grill), the nutclip is not the same as the others used in grill retention, it is longer and with a smaller panel grip.
The question is whether the screw is painted or left with the clear zinc showing as that tab is painted black.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 12:49:07 AM »
The question is whether the screw is painted or left with the clear zinc showing as that tab is painted black.

Easy one - black applied to tab before assembly = screw and head unpainted
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dudley

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
Jeff, I really enjoy seeing these pictures of unrestored cars. Please keep them coming.  Dudley
current ride: 1968 Mustang coupe, 11,900 mile survivor/unrestored CA blk plate. May/June build PS,AC, AT, 289-2V. pix available at   .http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/105333

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Jeff, I really enjoy seeing these pictures of unrestored cars. Please keep them coming.  Dudley

Thats why we post them ;)   Of course we keep having to stress to not use these details unless you have same plant, time, equipment.......

More than anything I think it motivates some of us to slow down when we see these cars and just take in the details - so that we can look to the next one for comparison

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »
Easy one - black applied to tab before assembly = screw and head unpainted
Throw a guy a soft ball and he swing, he hits, it's a long fly ball into deep deep center field -
Go Giants -
Jim

Offline sirbyron

Re: Unrestored Late 66 San Jose Pictures
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »
My brother has a 66 Dearborn car. These pics are great even though I do understand they are San Jose and not Dearborn. Love all the unrestored low mileage stuff!
1964 1/2 Poppy Red, 289 D-Code, Automatic, Power Steering, Rally-Pac, built July 27, 1964.

Offline Jays66gt

Re: Unrestored Late 66 San Jose Pictures
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
Although my 66 GT is not a concours car by any stretch, I too enjoy the pictures.
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline priceless

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
.... the bypass hose doesn't look painted....... Looks like an unpainted thermostat gasket edge as well.........
The third picture in the 2nd group, the bypass hose definitely looks painted, but faded somewhat,from heat and/or rubber deterioration(remember it is 44 years old), and the thermostat housing gasket looks painted in this picture. Just my observation....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:06:52 PM by priceless »