Author Topic: 6T09C2860xx - Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures  (Read 5654 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
6T09C2860xx - Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
Disclaimer: :) As always we need to warn that unrestored does not always mean unaltered by previous owners. Just because this car has/had a specific detail does not mean your car was built just the same. Always do your research, document your findings and make the best choice for you and your expectations.

This example came into a local shop for some attention. Being a rust free NJ example was an unusual site so I took about 200 pictures of the car for documentation and later use.  Car is - 6T09C2860xx Door tag shows a projected build date of 22G. Car had evidence of some exterior color touch up but allot of paint appeared original. The dealer installed AC is shown in another thread and related details are discussed there http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5470.0

Hope the sharing of these will help all of our understanding of these cars and foster some discussions.

Nice breather cap there ;)

Original trunk weatherstrip profile

Door weatherstrip adhesive

Like other factories we find the interior paint on the doors masked off before the weatherstrip retainer - in this case closer than the other plants

Original style weatherstrip end retaining screw for this plant this time period

Nice example of a eastern firewall pad used at NJ and Dearborn

Fastback quarter panel carpet. Been researching this for a fairly long time and we continue to find original carpet pieces here with no sewn edges. Conpletely different from reproductions made since the 70's

Two different rear spring providers installed on the same car With the markings it appears one might have been replaced at some point in the past

Notice anything odd in this picture???? Need to find some more NJ examples to see if this is commpn for the plant and time period

Factory tie down and dolly mark. Notice the amount of body color overspray likely introduced through rear wheelwell

As usual - body color over rear wheelwell sound deadener and frame rails

Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:25:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fast66

Re: Unrestored Late 66 NJ Fastback Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:32:53 AM »
Great pictures as always, Jeff!
Any comment on the locking tabs on the eahaust bolts, I thought they would have been replaced by the ramp loc bolts since quite a while before this cars build date - around December or so? Were they used randomly or do I just have bad memory?

thanks,
Claes
6T09C162246
63B F 62 03M 21 6 6

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:02:16 AM »
Any comment on the locking tabs on the eahaust bolts, I thought they would have been replaced by the ramp loc bolts since quite a while before this cars build date - around December or so? Were they used randomly or do I just have bad memory?

thanks,
Claes

I'm 99% sure my MAR 66 Metuchen Car did not ever have ramp-loc's.  When I did the first ever rebuild on the Change Level 11 Windsor 289 / C, it had the locking tabs and when I removed the manifolds, there was no exhaust gasket material present.  All indications are the manifolds had never been removed. 
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:14:35 AM »
Jeff,

The naked dolly mark on the rear frame rail has exactly the same overspray pattern that mine has.  Physical evidence that the painter only made 1 pass with the paint gun and wasn't trying to achieve "coverage!"

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Jeff,
The naked dolly mark on the rear frame rail has exactly the same overspray pattern that mine has.  Physical evidence that the painter only made 1 pass with the paint gun and wasn't trying to achieve "coverage!"

Current belief is that the undercarriage from firewall rearward was applied by jets mounted below the body and track that the body ran on) rather than being hand sprayed like the firewall section forward of the frame and such. This would produce a single heavy application we see with the runs and drips. Also would produce the same (well similar) amounts of overspray and coverage patterns also ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:02:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Any comment on the locking tabs on the exhaust bolts, I thought they would have been replaced by the ramp loc bolts since quite a while before this cars build date - around December or so? Were they used randomly or do I just have bad memory?

Not a detail I've researched :(

Will see if the car and engine are still around. And if so get some dates from the engine to help see if it has been replaced over the years.
Jeff Speegle

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
all great pictures

remember thought that the san jose firewall pad did appear in many early dearborn cars as well

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
all great pictures

remember thought that the san jose firewall pad did appear in many early dearborn cars as well

During what dates??  Haven't seen that so far.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
No one noticed the oddity (well at least different for me ;)   ????

Notice anything odd in this picture???? Need to find some more NJ examples to see if this is commpn for the plant and time period
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
Wrong hardware for the trap door lever mechanism.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
Wrong hardware for the trap door lever mechanism.

Well sort of.  Normally I've seen/found that the trap door arm attachment point at the bottom (passenger side floor pan) has two nut inserts that are threaded.  But its pretty clear that this car's floors are original and it appears that there never were nut inserts installed.

So the question is IMHO is this simply a mistake (workers did not drill the holes or the stamping plant did not make the holes) on this one car or was there a different panel used on a group (large or small) of fastbacks built this way at NJ

Some pictures to illustrate what I normally see. Pictures from Dearborn and San Jose 65-66 fastback examples

Anyone one have a car we can check (NJ fastback)  or seen this before??
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »
My NJ 66 fastback originally came with some very funky hardware in that area, but I believe there was work done on those parts long before I got the car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »
I saw the pictures of the underside of the door concerning the transition from body-to-interior color. Couldn't remember how mine looks so I had to go back to look see. Then I realized that I didn't remember because with the colors of mine (ivy-gold exterior and ivy green interior) there would not as drastic a difference as going from light to dark colors. So I feel better that I didn't have a lapse of memory. Anyway, since I took the time to look at mine, anyone mind if I post a picture of it? ..................

Think it should be posted on your cars thread since it does not really relate here - different year and plant ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »
Jeff, I checked the attaching points for the trap door on my '66 NJ fastback. Mine has the threaded inserts like in your first pic. Scheduled build date was Oct '65.
'66 GT Fastback, built in Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, built in Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
Jeff, I checked the attaching points for the trap door on my '66 NJ fastback. Mine has the threaded inserts like in your first pic. Scheduled build date was Oct '65.

This one has me baffled so far. Will keep looking and collecting details. Maybe something will develop
Jeff Speegle